INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 140

4gb me, and it’s fast with SM... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
4 years 7 months ago #41662

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
@RLANCASTE Is your script ready for use? Only I have tried to use it on my Pi4 2G and am getting a lot of errors.
I used the official Rasbian with desktop (not the version with added software). Is that the correct starting point?
4 years 7 months ago #41675

• Thank you received: 809
Yes I would say it’s pretty much ready. I’ve been doing a lot of work on it and changing a lot in the last few days and now I think I have it pretty much ready. So yes you can give it a shot now.

Yes the latest official raspbian is correct and no you don’t need lots of software.

The script you want is setupAstroRaspbianPi.

When you say “a lot of errors” what do you mean? An error in the script would stop the script or an error in a package would stop that package install. It would not keep making more errors. Maybe you mean the warnings that are printed while building INDI or KStars? Those are fine, not an issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 7 months ago #41688

I tried again with your latest script and I believe i have had a lot more luck this time. Thanks hugely for the script @rlancaste. I now have Kstars, phd2 and Indi Web Manager executables on my desktop.
I am a complete newb to this game having just bought a Celestron 8se with wedge and Skyportal. I am also new to astro on the Pi as I have been using SkySafari 6 on my ipad for control/guiding. I am currently experimenting with focusers and have built a couple of variations of myfocusPro with wifi and also purchased a (cheap) 1080 web camera and I am looking at trying to do the video capture on the pi and perhaps even control my focuser (is it possible to auto align with a camera with pi astro sw?).
Do I need to install anything else for video capture? Will the pi4 be fast enough to capture 30fps at 1080? I tried sharpcap on my very fast desktop and no problem but on my dual core atom laptop I was hoping to use, I was barely getting 4 or 5 fps at 1080.
4 years 7 months ago #41706

Quick question about ekos. I did a search and found info on webcam drivers at www.indilib.org/devices/cameras/indi-webcam.html
but it suggests using apt-add-repository to download the drivers which don't seem to be available for pi4. any advice?
4 years 7 months ago #41710

lol, I just reread the page on that link and see that you are the author rlancaste.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Jim Higgs.
4 years 7 months ago #41711

Typically, you don't have to download any drivers when using INDI, unlike ASCOM/Windows. For Ubuntu, most of the drivers you would need are included in the PPA and can be installed as prebuilt binaries with just an install command. For Raspbian and other systems that don't have a PPA, INDI needs to be built. My script should build all of INDI and the 3rd Party INDI drivers. INDI-Webcam should be built along with all the other INDI drivers when the INDI 3rd Party build is done. Are they not built along with the others? I can check that.
4 years 7 months ago #41721

Thanks for the reply. Indi-webcam was not built, I don't believe. I found the indi-webcam in AstroRoot/indi/3rdparty and followed your instructions on the indi-webcam link I posted earlier. I had to install some other libraries for FFMPEG. libavcodec-dev and libavdevice-dev.
That seemed to do the trick and I was able to make and install indi-webcam.
Managed to get a profile in ekos with indi-webcam and see a stream from my cam so I am on my way. But man is it ever complicated.
Quite a steep learning curve, there is so much in it.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Jim Higgs.
4 years 7 months ago #41723

Oh shoot. I will need to add an ffmpeg install to the raspbian script. I assume it had the latest version of ffmpeg. Silly me. Will do.
4 years 7 months ago #41725

As I said the script is a work in progress . . . but feedback like that helps to get it refined.
4 years 7 months ago #41726

• Thank you received: 1

Hi - I am trying out your script on a RPi4 with Raspian, but I get these error messages, what do they mean?

Cheers,
Zoroaster
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 7 months ago #42123
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Here is a 10 minute stress test of my Pi4 in a FLIRC case running the Stellar Mate beta OS. Never rising above 56c, this is better than my 'active' cooling case with a fan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgio
4 years 7 months ago #42402

Time to create page: 0.829 seconds