INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 15
Just wanted to chime back in with an update on the Raspbeery Pi 4 ekos/kstars/indi experience so far

Currently running StellarMateOS_1.4.3_rpi4
Have downloaded the new beta (StellarMateOS_1.4.4_rpi4) but not yet installed that build

Had a good imaging session at the weekend with the Pi 4 holding up just fine
Managed to get some imaging time in on M31, M42 an IC1805

Ran kstars from a Windows 10 desktop remotely connected to the Pi 4
First I got a few hours on M31
Plate solving worked like a charm, taking around 20 seconds to solve and centre the target

I then used kstars to slew the mount over to IC1805
Again plate solving centered the target in about 20 seconds

After a few more hours of data capture I slewed over to M42
Plate solving again placed the target dead centre after about 20 or so seconds

Got my first ever capture of Orion on the new refractor

Very pleased with the outcomes

Have been using indi/kstars/stellarmate for the first time for about month or so now and so far having some success

M42 capture attached

T: Altair Wave Series 80mm refractor
M: Skywatcher EQ5
C: Canon 600D (Skytech CLS filter)
S: kstars/ekos/stellarmate/phd2
D: Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb)

#stilllearning

M42 taken on September 15th (indi/ekos/stellarmate/raspberry pi 4)

M31 taken on September 7th (indi/ekos/stellarmate/raspberry pi 4)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, AstroNerd, Keld Henningsen
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Acapulco Rolf.
4 years 6 months ago #43442
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Rob on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

Always good to see a success story. Thanks for posting.
4 years 6 months ago #43472

• Thank you received: 420
Nice, good job on making this progress! For your next steps I suggest to critically review your focus procedure. Especially the M 31 image is out of focus. This is not meant to put you down but as a suggestion for making even more progress. Keep up the good work!!!

Wouter
4 years 6 months ago #43475

lol, good spot

I was just waiting for someone to call out the poor focus outcome on M31 :)

That was my very first attempt /night out with new equipment, software and hardware, so lot's of experimenting, trial, error, sweat, tears etc

On that night, I accepted my poor manual focus effort until I got my auto focuser attached the following week

Anyhoo, better focus on M31 was achieved on the 14th/15th September outing - motorised focuser now attached :)
(DIY ASCOM compliant focuser)

M31 taken September 14/15 (stellarmate/ekos/kstars/raspberry pi 4)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Acapulco Rolf.
4 years 6 months ago #43481
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
Haha sorry to be that one person. Great new shot of M 31!!! And good to see that your DIY ASCOM compliant focuser also is a DIY INDI compliant focuser!

Wouter
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 6 months ago #43484

The indi driver for my focuser was pushed to the indilib git just yesterday

In the mean time, I'm operating my focuser as an ASCOM device via Windows 10 over bluetooth (eek)

I've not yet figured out how to deploy the latest indilib build on top of my stellarmate install

I followed the nightly build install steps on the page below but I could not see the new focus driver as a selectable equipment option via ekos
indilib.org/download.html

Still figuring this out...

4 years 6 months ago #43488
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 40

In what spot/area... It looks good to me. I ask just so I can improve too. FYI, I have to use my bahtinov mask instead of the focus module. Still use it to adjustment my focus in/out... but the code doesn't like any donuts, it tends to fail.

Edit: Tried again last night. Thought I'd give it a shot. I had a star in pretty good focus, hoping it would move in/out and settle on focus. But instead it focused out till it was a big donut and failed. Go home focuser module, you're drunk! :)
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 6 months ago #43491

• Thank you received: 31
What is the current status on StellarMate OS support for Raspberry Pi 4?
I just ordered a Pi 4 and I am planning to install StellarMate OS on it, but I won't bother if there are any known issues :-)

I would prefer to use StellarMate OS but if that is not an option I will go for Ubuntu with KStars/Ekos instead (or maybe Astroberry server).
3 years 10 months ago #53783

• Thank you received: 140

Stellarmate works perfectly fine with the rpi4, and has done for some time now... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan R.
3 years 10 months ago #53789

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

@StephanR, I can confirm that SM OS works fine with Pi4, but that's not to say there are no issues for your transition. You haven't listed your current equipment, so I'll just blanket a few thoughts for you to consider. Know that USB3 and wireless 2.4Ghz don't play nicely together on the PI4. That goes for HDMI and at least one high resolution display setting (RF interference). Depending on your equipment and how you plan to communicate with the PI4, you might have to adjust your strategy a bit. If you're not yet using a powered USB3 hub, you'll want that because you shouldn't really use the PI4 USB ports for supplying current. You might get away with using them, but you may find yourself on the margin and regret it when funky power/connectivity issues arise. Your Pi4 power supply will be more crucial (will want to reserve those 15W/3amps for the PI4). You'll want to get an on-board fan and probably heat syncs for the Pi4...they run hot and will auto CPU throttle if they cross a temp threshold. Lastly, purely convenience, you may want an RTC module and/or an SSD for the PI4. Other than these suggestions, you'll likely enjoy the Pi4 performance. It is solid with SM OS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan R.
3 years 10 months ago #53794

• Thank you received: 31
Thank you for the suggestions.

Yesterday, I also ordered Flirc aluminium heatsink case (without cooler) and SSD.
And I already have a Pi3 so I was planning on using the same power supply (different cable) which is a PowerBank that supplies 5V/3A.
www.avxperten.dk/powerbank/powerbank-300...-deltaco-pb-1069.asp

I have a CEM25P mount so I hope to get the time from the GPS module on the mount, so maybe i dont need the RTC module? Or will that still be necessary?

I also heard about the interference issues so I bought a USB WIFI Dongle with 5 dbi antenna for the Pi and a non-powered USB hub (can supply a maximum of 900 mAh which is enough for camera and guider)
So I was planning to still use the USB ports directly in the Pi (for the USB3 Hub and the SSD harddrive for example). But maybe that is a bad idea?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Stefan R..
3 years 10 months ago #53800

• Thank you received: 140

It’s not about what power the hub can supply, it’s about what power the RPI Can supply to the hub, and it’s certainly not 900ma to each port, you need a powered hub or you may as well Attach everything to the RPI direct as you are not gaining anything at all...
3 years 10 months ago #53803

Time to create page: 1.377 seconds