INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO ASI EAF - experiences? - driver support for backlash compensation?

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I'm about to upgrade from the standard skywatcher auto focuser combined with the Hitec Astro DC focus to the more robust ZWO ASI EAF.

Would anyone owning the ZWO ASI EAF care to share the experiences you have until now?

One thing that the driver for the Hitec Astro dearly missed was backlash compensation which renders the setup useless.

Does the Indi driver have backlash compensation built into it?

Thanks,

Marco
4 years 7 months ago #41756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
Unfortunately, it doesn't.
I cannot tell whether this is an issue of the (INDI) driver or the firmware, but currently there is no such option in the INDI Control Panel.
I know within ASICAP (which can also control the focus) there is support for backlash compensation, but I do not know if that is doing it in ASICAP or using some HW setting....

Apart from that shortcoming the EAF is really a beautiful and solid device, and I'm somewhat hoping that this issue gets solved sooner or later, as ZWO also uses INDI (via ASIAir) and will for sure get complaints about that ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marco de Keizer
4 years 7 months ago #41775

OK, I got curious and downloaded the EAF SDK. Seems the focuser itself does support backlash correction, so it is just not yet in the INDI driver.
4 years 7 months ago #41776

Thanks DerPit,

Would you know where I could check out the features of the numerous drivers, seems I can only see it when I actually have device connected.

Marco
4 years 7 months ago #41843

You can check the drivers page (indilib.org/devices), some of them have a complete description of the features. But the EAF for example isn't on there yet, as the unit is brand new...
4 years 7 months ago #41848

• Thank you received: 9
Does the EAF have gear reduction? With MyFocuserPro powered 1:27 reduced motor I have such fine resolution (many steps/mm) that backlash is not an issue even @1625mm FL
4 years 7 months ago #41850

I don't really understand that comment. Backlash doesn't depend on steps/mm, if anything it gets worse with better resolution, isn't it? Also, the backlash often is in the focuser mechanics, not in the motor system.

But yes, it has a gear system, though I don't know the exact ratio.
4 years 7 months ago #41863

Derpit, I think a saw you mention in another post that backlash compensation turned up as a setting in the driver. Care to share your experience?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk
4 years 7 months ago #42266

Yes, it is now officially supported by the INDI driver and works very well. Mine has a backlash of 35 steps that seems to come from the gear box of the stepper unit itself. It's less than what my Pegasus DMFC has.
So if you need a (cheap) motor focus, get the EAF, I doubt you'd be disappointed :)
4 years 7 months ago #42271

Time to create page: 1.307 seconds