INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Has anyone used the new iOptron Firmware with the INDI drivers?

• Thank you received: 133
Things get even more weird. I had tried to set the park position to AZ 90 ALT 28:45:37. It did move there, by mainly rotating DEC 90 degrees, CWB was pointing more or less down. But since then I cannot go to normal park positions anymore. If I manually set the (previously working) 0:00:01 / 28:45:37 it now parks with the CWB eastish, but may degrees off from being really horizontal.

How is the CWB position computed anyhow? Isn't AZ singular when pointing at the pole, and any orientation would give you AZ=0? How do you invert this?
4 years 8 months ago #41971

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So I finally got the separate serial communication running (switching off the LF after the command...)

It seems the CEM60 firmware is a sort of hybrid, understanding both the old 2.0 command set from 2014 and the new 3.0 from 2017. It knows the new commands, and responds in the new way to commands like ':AG#'. But it also responds to 'removed' commands like ':V#' or ':GAS#'.

First thing I looked at was the stored park position, which I had set from the hand controller. It's 10353700000003600, i.e., my latitude and an AZ of 3.6".

From playing around here, I cannot get the SPA/SPH commands to produce useful parking positions at the pole. Even worse, I tried the hand controller: Moved it to a CWB-horizontal position,pointing at the pole, and then used the HC menu to set the park position to 'current'. Then parking from the HC again moved it to the CWB down position with AZ of 3.6".
I set it to some other of the predefined park positions, 'Horizon 1'. Reading the park position then gives
00003600000003600, and it nicely parks there.

For now I would do the same 'trick' as the HC, using a small offset in AZ to park "properly" in default position. Seems a real fix is only possible with a change in the firmware...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 8 months ago #42014

Thanks for the exhaustive testing! I emailed iOptron and waiting to see what they say about it.

If it turns out some issue with the firmware, I see almost set the azimuth to a small non-zero value to make it park with the CWB down.
4 years 8 months ago #42018

You're welcome. I've definitely enjoyed toying around and controlling the mount with a console :D
For now I've just defined a custom park position in EKOS, this works fine.
4 years 8 months ago #42022

• Thank you received: 4
Thanks

It is here not that good weather, so the mount is back in the box. I remember me during testing that i saw time different some times on 120 than i needed to forece the HC to 60 This can explain this your findings. But i dont know the status of the HC
I will check the first occasion your findings, Be aware it was dry test in our living room

sorry this reaction was on old message,

Chris
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Chris Alberts.
4 years 8 months ago #42057

Ok, so no response from iOptron yet. What's the best way to go about this?

Have a switch for "Park Orientation" with two switches: [ CW Down ] [ CW Horizontal ]

For the first case, we always set set Az to 00:00:01 and for the second case we set Az to 0 ? is this an acceptable solution for most users?
4 years 8 months ago #42265

For me definitely yes. It might be good though to get some confirmation from users of other iOptron mounts that they really behave the same when getting those numbers for parking...
4 years 8 months ago #42272

• Thank you received: 76
For me I currently park point at the east horizon (see live here 52-8.xyz/images/telemetry/snapshot.jpg) but it sounds like a good idea with the switch. However this switch would only apply if you park pointing north? Maybe a help popup description on the switches to explain this may help future users and avoid confusion.
Derek
4 years 8 months ago #42276

All, Short update

Parking via EKOS/INDI works fine, As told i did dry test and likely caused the issue. but now under clear sky it looks like all works fine.

Settings: indi Driver iOptron CEM60
Setting: CEM60 updates KSTARS Time and location via GPS of the CEM60
Slew en set park, work correctly
Slew with mount control to a position where you want your OTA parked then set park position in INDI control under site management Current and then Write, works correctly. will end alway on the site you defined

How ever setting Park Position via HC and than save current position via the INDI Control window site management , there i saw that the OTA after initiating a park that it end up at the wrong site of the mount

In general don't define park position with the HC but always via INDI/KSTARS

I have one request for the devolpers. i dont want to used the indi control pannel durring my sessions its only for configuration. Please can the GO home or go to Zero position be added on the Mount tab EKOS and also the location as got from the mount or defined in KSTARS.

Hoop that this helps

Chris
4 years 8 months ago #42377

No, not if you are pointing at the pole. Try slewing so that DEC is 90 degrees and the CWB points horizontally towards the west. Store this as park position, and park. Any other position works (well, likely the SEP won't work either), because there's a unique transformation between RA/DEC and AZ/ALT. For the pole(s), there isn't, any RA value will lead to park position AZ=0, ALT=latitude.

For the new ieqpro driver, it doesn't matter what park position you set with the HC, because the EKOS park command will always overwrite it with the values defined in KStars/EKOS. I.e., if you define it with the HC and park with the HC, it goes there. Park once with EKOS, and also the HC will now park to that position.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts
4 years 8 months ago #42380

Hoi, i think i dont undersstand your situation.
but for me it looks like it works.

So what you are saying, zero position and move the ATO to point to west and that park i did dat works also?
Sorry what does CWB mean en SEP?

Chris
4 years 8 months ago #42381

CWB = Counter Weight Bar.
Try this: Park the telescope in 'default position', the telescope looking at the NCP (North Celestial Pole), and the CWB pointing down(*). Then unpark, and use the INDI mount control to move the telescope (only in RA, don't move in DEC) until the CWB is pointing towards the east horizon. Set this (in INDI control panel) as park position (-> current). Now park.

(*)you probably can also use the 'Goto Home/Zero' for this, without parking the mount
4 years 8 months ago #42382

Time to create page: 1.229 seconds