INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Francisco Labrador on topic Joystick

Hi,

After a long time "disconnected" due to work issues, I am now here again!

A simple question related to Joystick:

I already have a PS3 wireless control and I wonder if it is possible to connect it to my RPI/Stellarmate wirelessly. I understand that is it possible by cable (following your instructions) but I don't know whether I can use it without cable. As per your comments with yours (Thustmaster wireless) it seems to be possible, but please let me know how to do it.

Thanks!
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
3 years 11 months ago #51879

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paul Mogg on topic Joystick

Hi there Jasem,
I just wanted to ask whether or not Joystick support has been implemented yet on the Mac? I just found this thread. I'm on OSX 10.15.7 Catalina on a Macbook Pro.

I checked that the Xbox One controller I just got does work on the Mac. There is a system extension called "Xbox 360 Controllers" you can use it with to do so. Perhaps you know of some way to use it with that extension?

Unfortunately under Kstars I always get the same message "Driver indi_joystick was not found on the system. Please make sure the package that provides the "indi_joystick" binary is installed." ...when following the instructions on how to install a joystick from the INDI website.

Anyway, any update would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

p.s. I'd also just like to say how wonderful I think Kstars / EKOS is! I'm very new to Astronomy / Astrophotography, and very much appreciate this amazing suite of tools. It makes our lives so much easier as beginners on the Mac.
3 years 2 months ago #65659

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Joystick

Unfortunately, it's not implemented on Mac. Not sure what is involved exactly to add support to the driver as it currently written for Linux.
3 years 2 months ago #65759

• Thank you received: 120

Replied by Rick Bassham on topic Joystick

Might be able to use libsdl to interface with a joystick cross-platform. But that would require reworking the existing driver, or adding a new one in indi-3rdparty.

wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryGameController
3 years 2 months ago #65790

If anyone wants to try out a gamepad driver for Mac, here you go: github.com/rickbassham/indi_gamepad

For some reason, I can't get KStars to connect to it when selecting it in the Aux list and running, but if I run indiserver manually on the mac with this driver, it works fine.

It works in linux as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 2 months ago #65846

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Joystick

You need to change the function getDefaultName() to "GamePad" same as the one in the XML file. Btw, this would a great addition to the *default* INDI installation. Though I'm not thrilled about adding a new dependency, so it could be optional and the MacOS release can enable it.
3 years 2 months ago #65854

Unfortunately, the Controller class in indicontroller.h requires the joystick to be named "Joystick". I didn't want to introduce breaking changes with this. Also agree that adding a dependency on SDL for main indi would be overkill for this.
3 years 2 months ago #65856

I could add a new Snoop Device field to Controller to allow the user to specify the device to snoop on, and have it default to Joystick.

Edit:
github.com/indilib/indi/pull/1321
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Rick Bassham.
3 years 2 months ago #65857

FYI, As I couldn't get my Xbox controller working under Kstars I tried setting up INDIGO Server with my mount ( pmc8 ) and joystick, but couldn't get it to work there either. Their joystick driver HID Joystick did seem to see my controlller and read its serial number, and their mount driver does have a "snoop device" field. So I tried entering in that field the name of the driver and also tried the name of my device that the driver presented, but unfortunately no luck. No idea if it's something I'm doing wrong or something in their system, but thought I'd let you know. The INDIGO Server seems to work fine under Kstars / EKOS and one advantage to me is that it DOES recognize my SSAG guide camera, whereas the Kstars internal driver currently does not unfortunately.

If anyone manages to get joystick / gamepad functionality working under Kstars / EKOS on the Mac I'd appreciate if they'd post beginner level instructions on what to enter in what fields to get it working, Thank you, and thanks again for all your efforts in programming this stuff for us!
3 years 2 months ago #65877

Once I get the gamepad driver working cross platform and stable, I'll post an update here. Right now it isn't ready for general consumption.
3 years 2 months ago #65881

Ok, if you have the most recent nightly build of INDI or build from git, you can test out my cross platform joystick driver. To see if you can use it, go to the Options tab in the INDI control panel for you telescope and see where it says "Joystick" Enable Disable. If you ALSO see an option for "Snoop Joystick", you have a build that can use it. If you don't, update to latest nightly or build from git and see if it is there.

Then go to github.com/rickbassham/indi_gamepad and build and install the indi_gamepad driver. This will require installing the sdl2 libraries (apt-get install libsdl2-dev on linux or brew install sdl2 on mac).

After building and installing, restart KStars and you should see a GamePad driver in Aux. Add that to your profile and start it. Then set the Snoop Joystick to match the name of your running driver (should be GamePad). On the GamePad driver tab in the INDI control panel, you should see a list of game pads attached to your system. The driver will auto connect to the first one.

I've tested this in Linux and Mac with a Logitech 310 gamepad, but should work with most console style game pads.
3 years 2 months ago #66019

Hi Rick, I downloaded and installed the latest 3.5.2 Beta version of Kstars in the hope the joystick support might be included, and I see that there is a Joystick option and a Snoop device option under my telescope Options tab in Ekos, however when I edit a profile I don't see anything named "Gamepad" in the the Aux section. Unfortunately I don't know how to "build and install the indi_gamepad driver" as you suggest in an earlier post. I imagine that would require knowledge of Mac programming environment specifics, which I'm not up on. If you can point me to instructions on how to do this I'd be willing to give it a go. Otherwise if you could let us know if joystick support will be in a future build of Kstars I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
3 years 1 month ago #67643

Time to create page: 0.739 seconds