INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Joystick

Yes, if it can recognize it as a Joystick, but not as a GamePad, then I think there would be support for a whole lot more devices.  Both of my devices were recognized as existing, just not as gamepads.
2 years 1 month ago #80298

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Steven Hutchings on topic Joystick

Thank you I have sorted the problem another way ,
I created a boot partition on the Mac mini and installed Ubuntu then installed K-Stars and everything worked straight away the Linux version seems much more stable! 
2 years 1 month ago #80309

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by nivlac on topic Joystick

I know it's been a long time since anyone has posted in this thread...

I'm wondering however if any progress has been made toward getting the joystick (xbox controller in my case) to work in Kstars.

I have noticed that the Mac OS now has drivers built into the OS for Xbox controllers. I can join my wireless controller to the Mac and the buttons are all detected.

I read earlier in this thread that one could build the driver. I am having issues getting cmake to work though. When I run cmake it fails with errors.
I followed the process to install brew but

When I try to load the joystick driver then EKOS just doesn't connect at all.

I'm wondering if the driver in the Mac OS conflicts with the indi driver. I'm also wondering if I fixed it so it will never work now after trying to follow this 3 year old process. lol

If we've basically burried this subject let me know and I'll try to find another solution. I would like to be able to steer the telescope without having to hold the computer so that I can look through the spotting scope without having to look back and forth between the computer and the spotting scope... would just be so convenient. :)

Thank you for all your work! I'm sorry I'm not a developer and can help. I never got past hello world though.
6 months 3 weeks ago #95309

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jordi Sesé on topic Joystick

Hi All,

I have been able to connect a simple aliexpress gamepad to Ekos in a Mac environment, but I have an issue (I guess) with the read values. I do not know whether it is EQMOD driver related, or if it can be fixed anyway.

First of all, how I enabled it, i case someone wants to try this, too:
- I have used the free Indigo Server to have a remote indi server (localhost:7664 in my case) just for the gamepad, since it includes an HID Joystick driver that detects it. The important thing to do is to write down the devicename (in my case USB gamepad #14200000)
- In the Ekos profile editor, I add the connection ("devicename"@localhost:7664) to the remote server at the end (Remote field) after all other devices.
This brings me a new tab with the remote device, with all its options.
- In the EQMOD options tab, enable Joystick, enter devicename in the Snoop joystick field
- In the EQMOD Joystick tab, enter the AXIS options corresponding to the gamepad axis I want to use for N/S and W/E
- After that, Save EQMOD driver options

With this done, when I press the axis button the mount moves to the right direction, but after relasing the axis button, it keeps moving in NW direction, regardless the movement I pressed. In the original (remote) driver tab, the buttons get pressed/released correctly, it is just happening in the EQMOD part.
I guess it may be because the idle value of the axis is not zero, but -258. After noticing that, I have tested an XBOX controler from my son (through bluetooth), and it does the very same; the idle values are also not zero, and even bigger.

Any ideas about this?

I will try to test with a remote linux box with the original joystick driver and will report the results.

If you have any input on what to try, it would be great. Thanks for your help.

Jordi.
3 months 2 weeks ago #97521

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds