INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
So after you back up your copy of the scripts, if you do a "git pull" in the AstroPi3 directory it will automatically try to merge the changes. Unfortunately if there is a situation where you and I edited the same lines in a file, there will be conflicts. It should tell you where those conflicts are. More than likely they aren't major and you should be able to fix the differences. One of the easiest ways to fix a conflict is to move the conflicting file out of the folder, do a "git pull", then copy in whatever changes you made into the new version of the file. There may be no conflicts, in which case there is no problem at all, but just in case, I was telling you a possible solution. I also often use "git diff" to see how I have changed the files. There are many other git features that can help you with this, but that is what I tend to do.

git-scm.com/docs/gittutorial
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42089

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Any idea why I dont see QHYCCD driver in INDI selection? But I can see it in Kstars EKOS.

Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Tom.
4 years 7 months ago #42090
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420

Or so it the git way: first create a branch and then make your changes. Any updates from the master will then not overwrite your changes.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #42097

After Re-Run the script, now everything back to normal! Hmmmmm...........

Regards,
Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42103

Yesterday i added a feature to the scripts that I have wanted for my SBCs for awhile. I configured it so that it would attempt to connect to any known wifi networks first, but then if it doesnt succeed after a certain time delay, to host one of its own wifi hotspots instead. Please try it out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom, AstroNerd
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
4 years 7 months ago #42126

Testing it now. Thanks for that feature.

Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42129

Hi,

3 questions here.....

1. Do I need to unplug the LAN cable just to test out this feature?
2. Do I need to check the "Connect automatically with priority" option in Wi-Fi configuration?
3. Do I need to at least hook up to one of my home wifi networks to test out this feature?

In my mind, I am expecting 30sec after my Pi boot up completely, if no home networks detected or no wifi point connected then pi hotspot will kick in right after that. Is this the correct process?
If yes, that's mean this will delaying the pi hotspot to start. Am I right?

BTW, I prefer 2.4G become the priority. :) Which I can change in Wi-Fi configuration.

Regards,
Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42132

1. No the LAN cable is not relevant. Plugging it into your laptop directly could help you see what is happening. Disconnecting your wifi network or going somewhere beyond its range though would be necessary.

2. Are you talking about for your own home wifi network here? My script should have already done that for the field wifi if you chose to use this new feature. And yes, all your normal wifi networks should be setup to connect autommatically with priority 0 or higher.

3. Yes i would hook it up to your home wifi with the connect automatically feature turned on. Then i would try turning the pi on with the wifi network online, then try turning the pi on with the network offline, and then i would try disconnecting the home wifi while the pi is online to see if it switches over.

Yes this would delay the hotspot starting by however long the delay is set to, because it would need to test the home wifi networks first before giving up.

Yes you can change the priority numbers how you like, but make sure the field wifi is below all other wifi. The default value for networks is zero, so i just made field wifi negative. I set it to prefer 5 GHz because of the faster thoroughput. But i still have the 2.4 GHz option in the list because there is no way to know if the user has or will have 5 GHz. It is currently set to try 5 GHz first and it doesnt work, then try 2.4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42137

Thanks for the explanation. But I found out after I disconnect the home wifi, the field_hotspot taking forever to take over. Looks like it never automatically swap to field_wifi. :(

Edit: It works actually. But if the home wifi comes back, will it connect back to the home wifi??? I tried, it won't. :(

Tom
4 years 7 months ago #42141

No there wouldn’t be an easy way to make it go back. Basically I made the hotspot the last resort, if it can’t connect, try hosting a hotspot last.

You wouldn’t actually want it to switch back automatically though. If you have an observing session set up and running, and the WiFi switched to hotspot and back again, it would disconnect you since the IP address would change. If you are just connecting with VNC that isn’t a huge problem but if you are imaging with a remote client It would probably disconnect the session.

So really the way I see this working is that if you are at home, it finds the home network and you use that, if you are in the observing field, it doesn’t find the home network and hosts the hotspot.

A sort of beneficial side effect is that if the home WiFi goes down it hosts the hotspot also, but that wasn’t the intent and it wouldn’t actually be good for that to happen during remote imaging as I said.

I will play with this some more. There might be some other ways to improve it, but for now I think this is better than the prior configuration.
4 years 7 months ago #42144

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Just tried this and seems to work well, but I did disconnect it from my home WiFi but it did not start the hotspot... is this correct..?

Also where can I alter the default 30 seconds to search...?

I had been using a second WiFi dongle and having home WiFi on that, and hotspot on the internal..that seemed to work well, I also added a file to autostart to start the hotspot at boot..
4 years 7 months ago #42145

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

After running your script again to install these new WiFi upgrades, I just opened Kstars and it’s broken, it opens, then when I click ekos it brings up a window that says:

“An instance of INdI server is already open, do you want to close before opening another”

and no matter if I click yes or no it just shuts Kstars completely down every time...
Any ideas..
4 years 7 months ago #42147

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds