INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
Ok I messed around with the networking issue for awhile yesterday. I tried for a number of hours yesterday to get it working with /etc/network/interfaces, but it didn't want to work. Adding the static IP meant that it needed an ethernet connection on boot to work with DHCP. Hot plugging didn't work with the static link local IP address.

Today, I tried something different. I tried a network manager solution. Since I was installing network manager anyway and since it is much more configurable, I was able to do a lot more with it. I added two profiles to network manager, one for DHCP Ethernet and one for Link Local Ethernet using the static IP. I gave the DHCP more priority so it tries to connect first to DHCP any time a cable is plugged in, and when that fails a couple of times with a limit of 5 seconds per time, it will switch instead to the other profile and offer a static Link Local address for the observing field. This solution is better because it now shows the network traffic and IP address properly no matter which profile you are connected with. It is totally automatic and switches back and forth depending on how you are connected. And since it is all done with network manager, the user can see and manage it in the GUI if desired. Plus it seems more reliable so far as well!

Please test this! You can just re-run whichever setup script you used and it will change to the new settings. I tested this on both Raspbian and Ubuntu-MATE so far and it works well for each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer, Clive Stachon
4 years 7 months ago #42015

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

It works for me, but as before when it had a static IP being set it knocks off the internet on any WiFi connection, I realise that this won’t matter in the field, but I sometimes use a cable at home for a good connection and keep the WiFi connected to my home WiFi for either internet or astrometry solving..
Not sure why this happens, but as soon as I disable the static IP on eth0 the internet on WiFi then returns...

I got the 4K working but through a completely different method as none of the options you suggested worked..there is a setting in raspi-config on the rpi4 for using 4K 60hz mode, and for some reason when enabled it’s allowed the 4K resolution to come back into the menu... :)
4 years 7 months ago #42033

Here is a picture of your conkyrc file after I used the script, as you can see I have changed the xftfont123 size to 12, and it makes no difference at all, in fact no matter what size I put here it makes no difference to the conky screen, nor do any other settings I change...and on my 4k monitor this is much too small...
Any ideas...
4 years 7 months ago #42045
Attachments:

Yes as I mentioned before if you look down below that in the settings there are a few places where it says “font Ariel bold size=10” and stuff like that. That would need to be changed too
4 years 7 months ago #42052

Yep, have tried all that, it makes no difference to what you see on the screen...not sure if,it’s something to do with having a 4k monitor, but nothing alters anything you see.. :)
4 years 7 months ago #42054

• Thank you received: 4
There this topic is about networking i hoop i can add this question this topic. I use rasp Pi 3b i discoverd something strang i think it due to my network setting

The wifi of the RP is configured as Wifi AP
And via USB i have USB Wifi dongel connecting to my local network.

When capturing when network connection of my client PC is via the AP downloading canon raw file takes about 13 secs reasonable, but via the dongel it takes ages so minutes.

What did i missed in the configuration in the Both IP stacks

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42058

Just tried again with all the settings on font size 25 and still looks exactly the same, even tried changing the colours and background, and nothing makes any difference to what shows on the desktop... very odd, it’s as if it’s not reading the file at all..
4 years 7 months ago #42059

Hoi other question where can i get the web manager app

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42060

Just added support for Debian since the Rock64 running Ubuntu really really does not like to play nicely with VNC or XRDP, it always shows a black screen. Several of us worked for quite some time trying to get it to work nicely last year. I tried again with my setup script as I mentioned earlier in this thread. But alas, even with a different version of ubuntu, it has a black screen when viewed remotely. I decided to apply what I have learned with making the Raspbian script to making a Debian script. It takes longer to build everything, but I think I have it working pretty well.

4 years 7 months ago #42061
Attachments:

I have been developing the web manager app this summer. If you have an ubuntu system, it is in the INDI PPA. If you don't, then you will need to build it from source: github.com/rlancaste/INDIWebManagerApp

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 7 months ago #42062

oke i will check thanks
also any clau about the downloading canon images via de RP3B wifi as AP configured is quicker that via my Wifi dongel?

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42076

So if I understand correctly, you have the pi’s internal WiFi directly connected via ap mode to your laptop and you are comparing its speed to a dongle connected to your home router? Well my guess would be that there is more than one reason. A couple that I can think of include: Sending images to the router and then from there to your computer takes more steps than directly sending it from the pi to the laptop. Another could be that the dongle might not be connected the same way (5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz) or might not have the Same speed as the internal WiFi. Maybe there is something about your router that is slowing it down like other network traffic. Etc etc

To really see the cause, i would do a more controlled test. In network manager you can change all the settings. First I would connect only the usb dongle to the home WiFi, then try an image. Then I would connect only the internal WiFi to the home WiFi and try an image. Then I would do another round of tests where each is connected via AP mode to just your laptop. When you do these tests, you should make sure all the settings are the same except which device you are using . And make sure the other one is turned off because it could interfere.
4 years 7 months ago #42077

Time to create page: 3.055 seconds