INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
I'm not sure I understand. As I mentioned earlier, its fine that the file pcmanfm.conf exists. The file is a file manager settings file and you can make it appear by changing a number of the settings on the pi. You could have easily made the file by just changing a system setting. As far as I know, it will not prevent the auto mounting of flash drives as long as it says:

[volume]
mount_on_startup=1
mount_removable=1

All my script did before was create the file if it didn't exist and change the 1's to 0's if it did exist. It does not even do that anymore because as stash said, there is a better way that more precisely targets gphoto. So my script does not affect this file any more. If the file was created or changed on your system and you did a fresh install recently, it was not caused by the script.

I was asking you to try installing the package "usbmount" and restarting to see if now you can mount your drives. Did you install the package? Did you try plugging in a usb drive or did you just check to see if the file pcmanfm.conf was there?

Also please understand that I am trying my best to create a script that can help people get their systems all set up. I'm hoping that it can work on a number of different systems and SBCs. That is very challenging because everybody's systems are different and have different ways of changing settings. It will really take time to get it to work for everyone. I just devoted several weeks to adapting my script so that it could work on more systems than just Ubuntu MATE, which is all it worked on before. I am not paid to do this, and it is not a product like StellarMate. I have volunteered a lot of my time and effort to produce this because it was helpful to me and I think it is helpful to others. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but of course if there are issues and you help me find out what it is that is wrong, I would be glad to improve it. Open source software is a collaborative effort. I have been trying to diagnose the problem you reported and see what could cause the issue. You don't need to call it ridiculous just because there are still some issues to be worked out. I do not know why your system is not mounting USB drives, because my system is doing so, but I'm trying to help you find out and fix the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd, Avocette, Anders Misfeldt
4 years 6 months ago #42692

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Thanks and I do appreciate the time you put in, but at the end of the day it does not work for me, I need to use USB drives, so my only option is to re build from Source without using the script, or go back to SM, although that still has issues too... :(
I did install the package , and it made no difference, also I have the file you mention and it shows “1” as you show above, but still they do not mount on boot, or when I plug them in...
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 6 months ago #42694

What about this third line? autorun

[volume]
mount_on_startup=1
mount_removable=1
autorun=1
4 years 6 months ago #42696

Or maybe check the settings graphically. I would toggle them a couple of times to make sure they update the settings file..
4 years 6 months ago #42698
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1
I just tried inserting a USB stick into one of the USB ports on my RP4 (installed Tuesday this week). It worked without problems. Tested in both the USB2 and the USB3 ports. All worked.
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
4 years 6 months ago #42699

Yyyiiipppeeeeeeeeee, so do most other people’s, but mine don’t...
4 years 6 months ago #42702

Thanks, I will take a look at that line in the file and the option above you suggested, hopefully it will be one of them.. :)
4 years 6 months ago #42703

Nope, still the same.
But don’t spend any more time on this , as I am going back to Stellarmate, as I can deal with the issues that has, but cant deal with no USB drive...
many thanks for your patience and time.. :)
4 years 6 months ago #42720

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Gaining more experience of KStars/Ekos/Indi running on Raspbian Buster on the RPi4 4GB!
Thanks so much for your ongoing work on the script. On Thursday I finally got my week old version working successfully carrying out Polar Alignment. During the ‘struggle’ over the intervening days, I had downloaded nearly a full set of solver index files, clogging up my SD card so I thought I’d run the latest script and do a fresh install. During the build I could see that at times all four cores were running at 100%. :) When completed I plugged in the Canon DSLR USB cable which didn’t result in any adverse mounting as a memory device etc. :) However with a USB key, the memory device was mounted and the dialogue screen opened offering the usual options. :)
Thanks again for your effort (and sorry if I’m not using Linux terminology correctly).
4 years 6 months ago #42725

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

It appears that the fundamental necessities required are now met by your script. Kudos to you. Thank you for your hard work.
Looking ahead there are some other applications for planetary imaging that could be possibly added if compatible. Such as:

Planetary Imager
planetaryimager.gulinux.net/downloads
oaCapture
www.openastroproject.org/oacapture/
wxAstroCapture
github.com/wxAstro/wxAstroCapture
SER Player
github.com/cgarry/ser-player
4 years 6 months ago #42828

Thank you very much. Actually for several years now, the original AstroPi3 script that I wrote for Ubuntu MATE worked very well for me and a number of others too. There were some flaws, but it still worked great as a hub for astrophotography. I am hoping that many of these flaws have now been fixed and I did make a number of upgrades too. The most significant thing is that it now has versions that can work on other systems. There is still room for improvement, but I think it improved quite a bit over the last month or so.

Yes, planetary imaging programs would be a good addition. I did investigate this before, and started making a script for one of them awhile back, but I was focused on the other items and did not finish it. Probably the planetary stuff would be a separate script that could be run if desired.
4 years 6 months ago #42830

• Thank you received: 74
@RLANCASTE

Question on Udev rules script - it looks like you rely on each device being unique but I have had problems using CH340 chipped devices which do not have any unique way of identifying the device.

Forgive me in case I am wrong (more than likely :-) )but the Udev rules script does not have anyway to use "position" (e.g. always position 1) which is the only way I know of that can be used if the Product Id ,serial etc are the same.

Future request maybe - Docker version so that we can have different versions on the one SD/SSD device and change quickly - if thats possible ?
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 6 months ago #42836

Time to create page: 0.782 seconds