INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Not a silly question until you have learned the technique!
Whilst still in VNC Viewer with the RPi in Hotspot mode open the Utilities folder on the desktop, and double click on StartNMService.desktop Enter the RPi user password and return, and the WiFi will switch off the hotspot and search for (and find) your home network. You will be knocked off the hotspot so you should connect with VNC Viewer again using your home WiFi settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 5 months ago #44491

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

I must say that 98% of the issues I have with my rig boil down to WiFi/networking, so, no this isn't a silly question to me either.

First, re the hotspot password. I believe when I installed via the script, the hotspot password was something like raspberrypi_password., not 123456789. You can find out for sure by looking in the folder /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and finding the file that configures your hotspot (should be obvious from the filename) and then looking at that file (e.g. by running 'sudo cat FILENAME') and there will be a line with the password in plain text.

Second, though the standard WiFi connection to my home wifi usually works, it often doesn't or drops out. As opposed to using the hotspot, my approach is to use the hardwired cable approach--that is, connect a cat5 or cat6 line between the ethernet connector on the RPi and your laptop (if you have a macbookpro like I do, you'll need a ethernet-to-usbC converter) and you should be able to see the RPi at the address you set on script installation (it's possible that that requires some configuration on your laptop). This is a much more reliable/fast connection than the hotspot IMHO, and also probably avoids whatever was messing with my other WiFi connection in the first place. Of course another approach is connecting a monitor and keyboard to the RPi (which is my ultimate work-around), but that takes more time to set up.

I wish I knew why the WiFi is occasionally flakey. I assume the reason is the wimpy WiFi antenna inside the RPi. I've bought this thing which I've seen referenced by Rob www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07695YGLZ/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but haven't tried to install it yet. Given the pain WiFi has caused, I should up the priority on that project.

Hy
4 years 5 months ago #44497

Rob, another script question (or perhaps this is general KStars?):
- when I run an imaging session, I get a ton of these on stdout/stderr:

I guess there's some audio thing I don't have, but I don't care about audio during imaging.
Is there a way of turning off sound, or some other way of disabling this? It's a minor annoyance, but I do use stdout/stderr to debug/explore the system
so I always wind up grepping out these lines, and who knows, this error may be slowing things down.

Hy
4 years 5 months ago #44608

I should say, the previous question related to Raspberry Pi Buster, with a RPi4.
4 years 5 months ago #44609

• Thank you received: 809
Hy,

I would recommend turning off Audio Notifications in KStars. You can find Notifications in one of the menus. You can just turn off each of the "Play a sound" ones. That should prevent it from trying to use Audio. Based on what you said, I suspect you don't have an audio device that VLC likes.

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 5 months ago #44611

Rob,

I've looked for such a menu option, unsuccessfully.
I've even searched the code:

Not sure what to do with the snapcraft.yaml.
Do you know specifically where to look ? I can't find code that does the notifying either.

Thanks,
Hy
4 years 5 months ago #44616

4 years 5 months ago #44618
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Not so fast rlancaste. I personally noted when I built KStars version 3.3.5 with your script some time ago, the entire notification configuration menu was missing. I have since updated it to 3.3.7 and the menu has returned.
Although interestingly enough I do not have the icons displayed in the top pull down menus as shown in your screenshot.
4 years 5 months ago #44620

Rob, thanks, but that menu item "Configure Notifications" is missing from my system.
Perhaps that's a Raspbian Buster thing?
See the screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f1kaxfJjub8KXmi78
4 years 5 months ago #44622

@Ihoujin: FWIW, I'm running code I compiled from the head of the git tree yesterday.

> cd ~/AstroRoot/kstars
> git log --oneline | head -4
61729fdff Adds an option to mouse-pan the HiPS graphics.
b926ba790 Use AppDataLocation on Android
576e9ab55 Add JNow to indicate the epoch for both telescope and solution coordinates
9cfac15cf implement detect from ekos in FOV editor. Use INVALID_VALUE instead of -1 when there is no solution available yet
4 years 5 months ago #44623

• Thank you received: 69
Interesting. I'm running the bleeding edge on an AstroPi3 installed Kstars on an Odroid-N2 and I have the menu item "Configure Notifications". My AstroPi3 install was relatively recent (probably less than 2 weeks)>
4 years 5 months ago #44625

So one thing that is probably relevant is that about 8 days ago, I accepted a pull request from Radek to add the optional dependencies libkf5notifyconfig-dev libqt5datavisualization5-dev and qt5keychain-dev. I would say all three of those are desirable packages. A raspberry pi may or may not have an audio device, but being able to configure it is useful. And the visualizations package will enable the user to make use of the 3D Star profile viewer that I made last year. And the qt keychain dependency will support logins for Ekos Live. So they are useful. So if you built since the change was made, you should be able to use the 3D Star Profile, you should be able to use the notification configuration and probably also use Ekos Live with the qt keychain. But if you built It before then, you probably don't have those features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
4 years 5 months ago #44626

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds