INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
So one thing that is probably relevant is that about 8 days ago, I accepted a pull request from Radek to add the optional dependencies libkf5notifyconfig-dev libqt5datavisualization5-dev and qt5keychain-dev. I would say all three of those are desirable packages. A raspberry pi may or may not have an audio device, but being able to configure it is useful. And the visualizations package will enable the user to make use of the 3D Star profile viewer that I made last year. And the qt keychain dependency will support logins for Ekos Live. So they are useful. So if you built since the change was made, you should be able to use the 3D Star Profile, you should be able to use the notification configuration and probably also use Ekos Live with the qt keychain. But if you built It before then, you probably don't have those features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
4 years 5 months ago #44626

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

The 3D star profile is working at least with simulators. It performance is laggy on the RPi4 with a selection of 128 or larger.
4 years 5 months ago #44627

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Well, when I said I did a pull yesterday, I meant a kstars pull, not astroPi. Once installed, I don't tend to re-run AstroPi (eg just 'git pull' inside kstars and 'make -j6 kstars'). So, I just 'pulled' the new AstroPi and, yes, found the new line in the Raspian script.
I manually ran the following:
$ sudo apt -y install libkf5notifyconfig-dev libqt5datavisualization5-dev qt5keychain-dev
$ cd ~/AstroRoot/kstars-build
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../kstars
$ make -j 6 kstars
Then started up kstars with
$ ~/AstroRoot/kstars-build/kstars/kstars

and sure enough, the KStars-->Settings-->ConfigureNotifications menu was there!!!!!! (I unclicked 'Play a sound' for everything that had a sound attached).

BTW, on the topic of mods to the script, the conky window was jumping around a lot, in a sort-of annoying way (basically resizing itself every half second). I looked into it, and in ~/.conkyrc, I changed the minimum_width, which fixed things for me. In my case, I changed it to 250, but I suppose that might be dependent on what screen resolution was being used. It's much better for me after this change.

Thanks for your help,
Hy
4 years 5 months ago #44628

Cool, I’m glad the star profile works on the pi. I never would have dreamed of trying it before the pi 4 came out, but it is much more powerful. I didn’t expect it to work great on the pi 4 even then, but if it’s working ok, then awesome! I guess with the pi 4 the resources limited mode is unnecessary too?
4 years 5 months ago #44629

I’m glad you got it fixed Hy.

Some other folks have given me some ideas of how to make the script even better recently. I hope I will have some time soon to make some of those improvements, but I have had a lot of grading to do recently. My students have to come first. But I will get back to this soon.
4 years 5 months ago #44630

• Thank you received: 8
I purchased a second RiP4 yesterday and was going to mess around with installing various images and try to build my own setup but this one looks so good I decided to follow the instructions on first page and I am now looking at a desktop that seems to work just fine!

My question is about updating ekos/indi/kstars. Jasem has been very helpful recently squashing some bugs in a camera driver I use. I've seen him remote to my system (I have stellarmate on my main rp4) and update it from a build minutes old.

How can I get this system to update to nightly builds? I believe I understand that I need to "git" from the source code on git hub and build it. How do I do that? Can some one help me with the command lines to get latest and compile it? Assuming I don't need other software to compile.

Very new to this.
4 years 5 months ago #44662

The script will build the latest nightly kstars. So if the fixes are in the main git branch, you should be ok.
4 years 5 months ago #44663

• Thank you received: 8
Oh ok great!

One thing more and unrelated to kstars. Conky is not transparent on the desktop. Has a black background. I didn't change anything. Everything is still brand new install scent.

I looked at the .conf file and nothing there about transparency.
4 years 5 months ago #44664

• Thank you received: 1
Not sure if I have a bug here Rob, but could do with a pointer or two if not.

Seems INDI/EKOS can't see my Atik cameras, yet they seem to have drivers in the right place, but then I am only just beginning my Linux Learning...

Posted EKOS output here after searching for asolution on the boards, it contains a link to the initial thread I raised wehen I first got stuck:

indilib.org/forum/ekos/5710-ekos-setup-q...noobie.html?start=24
4 years 5 months ago #44962

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Rob,

One more thing. I have started configuring the KStars part of the install script (could do this with Indi & Phd2 too, I suppose) to compile optimized. Currently your script compiles debug binaries.

That is, I re-ran cmake with the following flag
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
and then recompiled the entire system with my standard 'make -j 6 kstars'

This results in dramatic speedups for KStars on my RPi4 4Gb. I've suggested to Jasem that he consider releasing this way; he will look into it.
You (and anyone else adventurous) should try and give it a shot. It does make the compile a little slower, but once compiled, it's really much faster.
Let me know what you think!
4 years 5 months ago #45061

I'm not sure I follow. Are you claiming that applications get a performance boost when compiled this way? Please explain.
4 years 5 months ago #45068

This is an interesting idea. I'm not sure about it though. Are you saying there is a speed improvement in building the program or a speed improvement in running the program?

I understand that typically software is distributed as a "release" build instead of a "debug" build. But with KStars I have always built it as debug due to the fact that it is open source software that is continuously under development. So if there is a crash or issue, I would want it to have all the debug symbols so that we can get a detailed backtrace of the crash. Doesn't compiling as a "Release" build mean that the debug symbols would not be available? I think that would be an issue for diagnosing potential problems.
4 years 5 months ago #45069

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds