INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Rock64 Resurrection

10 months 3 weeks ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Rock64 Resurrection #42063
Last year, some of us were trying to get a Rock64 to work well with INDI & KStars on Ubuntu-MATE. We had lots of trouble, but the main issue was a black screen any time we tried to remotely access it. That ended up pretty much being a show stopper, even though we got mostly everything else to work. So I gave up on it for awhile. Then when I was revising my scripts over the last 2 weeks, I tried it again, and it still had troubles with VNC even using a different version of ubuntu.

So today, I thought I would try with a different distribution. So I tried Armbian Debian on the Rock64 and in fact the VNC connection worked great!!! So I adapted my script to make a new one specifically for Debian systems like the one I had running on the Rock 64. github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3/blob/master/setupDebianSBC.sh . It works!

it might be useful for astro imaging yet!!

Thanks,

Rob
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You Herrhausen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 2 weeks ago
colgs3b
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Rock64 Resurrection #50969
I've been using my Rock64 with Armbian for over a year now using your previous script. Ron, I am reading this message pretty late, but I didn't know you were having issues. I cannot recall if I had to do any tweaking. Regardless, INDI/Ekos would crash on me occasionally (never sure if it was a USB3/QHY163M or Ekos issue). Getting WiFi running on the Rock64 has been a hassle. The weather has been horrible for imaging the past 3 months, but I am getting my gear setup again, so maybe things are more stable now. I also have a RPi4 on order.

3 months 2 weeks ago
jerry
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Rock64 Resurrection #50972
I've been using your setupUbuntuSBC.sh script for an Odroid-N2. It has worked well, no problems with viewing the screen (using NoMachine and choosing option 3 none during the install). The only problem I have is with wifi networking using a usb wifi stick from Ameridroid a Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter. It will pick up a local wifi on boot, but I can't switch between local wifi networks without it ending up on the standalone hotspot.

Would this switch to Armbian affect this distribution?

Cheers
Jerry

120 MM Skywatcher Esprit on Celestron CGX
ZWO ASI 224MC or QHY-5L-II-M for guiding
Nikon Z7 8256 x 5504, 35.9 x 23.9mm 4.34 um pixel size
Triad Ultra Quad Band Narrow Filter
1) Kstars --> Odroid-N2 Ubuntu-mate 20.04
2) StellarMate on RPI4 8G
3) KStars on Astroberry RPI3.

3 months 2 weeks ago 3 months 2 weeks ago by dmsummers. Reason: minor edit to remove Pi4 (affected, but not actual cause of issue)
dmsummers
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Rock64 Resurrection #50976
Just a note to remind folks about USB3 and wireless @2.4Ghz trouble. If you are having problems, read this post on RF interference. Clear skies....
www.indilib.org/forum/general/6576-pi4-u...erference.html#50519

RASA11, Celestron CGX-L, ASI183mc Pro, 60mm guider + ASI290mm mini, ASI EAF focuser, PPB, Rpi4-4Gb+SSD, Powered USB3 hub, hardwire Ethernet.

3 months 2 weeks ago
rlancaste
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Rock64 Resurrection #50979
Hey guys,

Unfortunately my Rock64 died, and due to the issues I had with it before, and the fact that the Pi4 has proven to be more reliable as well has having even better specs than the rock64, I didn't get another one. Yeah, a number of things were just more difficult with the rock64.

Thanks,

Rob

3 months 2 weeks ago
colgs3b
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Rock64 Resurrection #50982
Yes, the RPi ecosystem has always been nice, and it took a while for Rock64 distributions to become stable (if they can be called that now). I seem to be accumulating SBCs. The RPi 3B+ couldn't handle my USB3 camera very well at all, so the Rock64 filled in for a while. I think Pine's development team (perhaps just 1 person) have moved on to Rock64Pro and other hardware.

Anyhow, thanks again for putting together your script.

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds