INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Rock64 Resurrection

• Thank you received: 809
Last year, some of us were trying to get a Rock64 to work well with INDI & KStars on Ubuntu-MATE. We had lots of trouble, but the main issue was a black screen any time we tried to remotely access it. That ended up pretty much being a show stopper, even though we got mostly everything else to work. So I gave up on it for awhile. Then when I was revising my scripts over the last 2 weeks, I tried it again, and it still had troubles with VNC even using a different version of ubuntu.

So today, I thought I would try with a different distribution. So I tried Armbian Debian on the Rock64 and in fact the VNC connection worked great!!! So I adapted my script to make a new one specifically for Debian systems like the one I had running on the Rock 64. github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3/blob/master/setupDebianSBC.sh. It works!

it might be useful for astro imaging yet!!

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
4 years 7 months ago #42063
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Jeff Wilson on topic Rock64 Resurrection

I've been using my Rock64 with Armbian for over a year now using your previous script. Ron, I am reading this message pretty late, but I didn't know you were having issues. I cannot recall if I had to do any tweaking. Regardless, INDI/Ekos would crash on me occasionally (never sure if it was a USB3/QHY163M or Ekos issue). Getting WiFi running on the Rock64 has been a hassle. The weather has been horrible for imaging the past 3 months, but I am getting my gear setup again, so maybe things are more stable now. I also have a RPi4 on order.
4 years 1 week ago #50969

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic Rock64 Resurrection

I've been using your setupUbuntuSBC.sh script for an Odroid-N2. It has worked well, no problems with viewing the screen (using NoMachine and choosing option 3 none during the install). The only problem I have is with wifi networking using a usb wifi stick from Ameridroid a Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter. It will pick up a local wifi on boot, but I can't switch between local wifi networks without it ending up on the standalone hotspot.

Would this switch to Armbian affect this distribution?

Cheers
Jerry
4 years 1 week ago #50972

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Rock64 Resurrection

Just a note to remind folks about USB3 and wireless @2.4Ghz trouble. If you are having problems, read this post on RF interference. Clear skies....
www.indilib.org/forum/general/6576-pi4-u...erference.html#50519
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Doug S. Reason: minor edit to remove Pi4 (affected, but not actual cause of issue)
4 years 1 week ago #50976

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Rock64 Resurrection

Hey guys,

Unfortunately my Rock64 died, and due to the issues I had with it before, and the fact that the Pi4 has proven to be more reliable as well has having even better specs than the rock64, I didn't get another one. Yeah, a number of things were just more difficult with the rock64.

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 1 week ago #50979

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Jeff Wilson on topic Rock64 Resurrection

Yes, the RPi ecosystem has always been nice, and it took a while for Rock64 distributions to become stable (if they can be called that now). I seem to be accumulating SBCs. The RPi 3B+ couldn't handle my USB3 camera very well at all, so the Rock64 filled in for a while. I think Pine's development team (perhaps just 1 person) have moved on to Rock64Pro and other hardware.

Anyhow, thanks again for putting together your script.
4 years 1 week ago #50982

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds