INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Experiences Using SM Beta on RPi 4, 4GB

Some reported that if RPI4 is in close proximity with other devices, the WiFi becomes extremely unstable. The kernel + firmware for the rpi4 appears to be in flux still. Next week I should release SM OS v1.4.5 with the latest upstream kernel.. hopefully this would help in making the wifi more stable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Bardenwerper
4 years 5 months ago #45086

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
I’ve come into the Rpi world very recently so very inexperienced in all of this, I’ve had similar experiences of flaky hotspot and WiFi. My solution was to stick a usb WiFi antenna in and disable the hotspot. No lost connections, always available. My setup is fixed so no need of hotspot, so for me this works. What I have found that don’t understand is what I’d describe as stalls or slow downs, at first I thought this was WiFi speeds but now I don’t think it is.

I’ve seen numerous screen shots with system monitor info, cpu mem etc on the right, so far not figured whether that’s a util or a system feature, what do people use to display this sort of info, as I’d like to see what’s going off when things grind to a halt.
4 years 5 months ago #45119

• Thank you received: 31
GN2000: I'd like to try that, what USB WiFi antenna are you using?
4 years 5 months ago #45125

There are various widgets you can add to the desktop to do that, but I tend to avoid them since they consume power and CPU cycles which can be better directed at running your gear. But you can add whatever you want to the desktop.
4 years 5 months ago #45127

• Thank you received: 17

Is it possible to upgrade to 1.4.5 from 1.4.4 using apt or should one flash the new image?
4 years 5 months ago #45134

It's new image.. there are no packages since Ubuntu does not work officially yet on rpi4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: S
4 years 5 months ago #45135

• Thank you received: 6
Hello everyone, it is at least two weeks that I am successfully using SM OS on RPi4 without any issues.
I figured out that, Ubuntu Network Configuration Managers likes to overwrite some of the settings that Jasem made as defaults. The most important thing I've found is that if you set it up as an Access Point, it does not like the user to force the base IP to 10.250.250.1 .
So, everytime a user chose a custom configuration, like for example decide to use the 5Ghz band, the Configuration automatically overwrite any IPV4 settings.
What I did was to let the Configuration assign the IP automatically (in my case it is 10.42.0.1, but could be different for anyone) so now, knowing the new StellarMate IP I am able to manage it as the RPi3 version with no issues.
Now the Access Point automatically connects (don't forget to flag the "Connect automatically with priority: -10" option in the General configuration of your Access Point) and that's it.
Apart from suggesting everyone to use the faster 5Ghz band, the only difference is the new StellarMate IP to be aware of.

Jasem is aware of this, as I wrote him a support ticket days ago.
4 years 4 months ago #45139

• Thank you received: 0
It was a USB Wireless Adapter MediaTek Ralink RT5370N of Amazon

It was cheap so gave it a try originally to try to get more range in the garden, I’ll keep using but until things are more stable, then I’ll take the advice get rid of it if it slows the Rpi and then extend my WiFi further.
4 years 4 months ago #45145

• Thank you received: 27

Hi Jasem,
Ubuntu recently introduced official support for Rpi4. Here is the process for building a system based on Ubuntu 19.10:
github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4
Please feel free to use any portions of it.
There seems to be an issue with some INDI drivers for 19.10 missing on PPA server.

Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 4 months ago #45849

Thanks Alex. Right, I am aware of this. I am waiting for the official support on the 18.04 LTS version. I guess 20.04 is coming soon also as well.
4 years 4 months ago #45853

• Thank you received: 117
@Max: I was going through posts looking at power issues, and saw your discussion of using both charging ports from the powered USB hub for Pi power. I was wondering, did you purchase a special cable to gang together enough amps to the C connector for Pi, or did you just make your own connector? I like the idea of using the charging ports from the powered hub if it works well as the cable management is clean. Are you still using this or did you move on to another config. Comments?
4 years 1 month ago #49767

• Thank you received: 86
Yes, I am still using this config.
Here's the cable: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIGO4NM

-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 1 month ago #49770

Time to create page: 1.231 seconds