INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ultimate Powerbox v2 - connectivity issues?

• Thank you received: 139
My Powerbox V2 just came in. I've yet to try it out. I don't have a good way to mount it yet, but I plan to at least run the cable sand see if it works.

What's the best way to set this up in the profile? Do you set it up as an AUX device? Or do you set it up under focuser?
4 years 7 months ago #43167

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
Hello lead_weight,

You'll set it up as an aux device. Please let us know if you're seeing the same issues as above. Please upload the logs as well.

Kindly
cl330b
4 years 7 months ago #43169

• Thank you received: 4
I am also seeing the following message in yellow:

Pegasus UPB : [WARNING] Received wrong number of detailed sensor data. Retrying...

When it happens, all of the data fields go to zero and I can't control any of the functions. The only way to recover is to disconnect all of my USB connections on the Indi panel, and then slowly connect them one by one.

I would be glad to upload my log if someone would explain how to turn it on and where it is located.
4 years 6 months ago #43886

I finally got the opportunity to try out my Powerbox V2. I connected everything up, and plugged it into my Mac laptop. At first I got sensor warnings, and the focuser wouldn't move. It appeared some tabs had red indicators on them showing something wasn't working correctly. So while it was plugged in, I went into the EKOS driver panel and rebooted the power box. After a minute, I disconnected devices, and restarted the INDI Server, then hit the connect button. This time, everything came up green, and no sensor warnings. I tested out the Moonlite focuser and it works! Very happy about this, power to all cameras, focuser, dew heaters, etc, and have only 1 device now!

I just hope it's reliable in the field.

Only one issue I spotted is that Dew controller A is outputting power, but Dew controller B is not. I don't know if it's mis-reporting this, or if there's some issue I'm not aware of. I've not read the instructions on any of this, as it mostly seem straight forward.

See attached screenshots of my tabs. I'm assuming the UPB driver is the same for V1 and V2 of the box? Firmware is reporting as V1.3

Next step is to try it out on my RPi4 with StellarMate.
4 years 6 months ago #44038

I was able to test on the RPi4 with the StellarMate beta installed. Works the exact same. Once you connect the devices and start the server, you have to initiate a reboot of the UPB2 as for some reason upon first connection it doesn't recognize it's sensors. But once you initiate a reboot, disconnect, stop server, and restart everything it runs just fine.

I'm still seeing the issue of no power draw from dew controller B. I should have tested C, but didn't. I'll give that a go and see if it shows anything different.
4 years 6 months ago #44055

Thank you for the testing Andrew. It's greatly appreciated. Can you please attach the log so I can see what's going on? In Ekos log, turn off all logs in INDI except for Auxiliary then connect to it.
4 years 6 months ago #44062

I re-ran the connection to the powerbox tonight with logging on. Of course I experienced no issues this time. I'm not sure what's different. I even rebooted and reconnected the devices to the powerbox and it worked on first attempt. I attached the log from this evening when it worked perfectly, as well as the log from last night (which had more drivers being logged, and is a larger file) when the errors occurred.

In both cases, I still do not see any amps being drawn by dew heaters B and C. Only A seems to draw any power. I made sure to turn them on in tonights log.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 6 months ago #44109
Attachments:

Appears the controller itself is not reporting any current draw for B and C.
<UPB2:12.3:1.5:18:24.9:49:13.4:1111:111111:127:127:127:322:0:0:0:70:0:0:0000000:0>

You see the 70 in there? That's the Dew A current. It's 70 / 300 = 0.32 A. But the next two fields (for Dew B and C) are zero. I think you might need to contact Pegasus regarding this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starman99
4 years 6 months ago #44111

In case it is a help, I was able to get current off of all three dew channels using the current stable driver.

I'll attach my log as soon as I get a chance test it again tonight.
4 years 6 months ago #44116

OK, here are a few UPBv2 logs from this evening. Just for clarity, my system is off-grid with a solar panel/12V battery setup. It is completely powered down between sessions, so I am always starting from a cold boot.

The first log went well. I left all the USB devices plugged in and powered up the mini pc and UPB at the same time. I started Kstars and Ekos - Ekos connected to all the Indi devices automatically. I was able to turn the dew heaters on and off at various levels everything looked great.

Then the troubles started. I disconnected and rebooted. When Ekos tried to connect to the UPB it could not find an open port. It tried automatic cycling and I tried manually as well. I disconnected other devices and tinkered around for a while. Eventually the driver crashed. It crashed many times even after a reboot. Finally I cut power to both the mini pc and the UPB and restarted everthing. I turned off the auto-connect in the Indi settings and manually connected the UPB first, and then added the other devices one by one. That seemed to work.

It seems like I'm having USB conflicts that are different each boot. Not sure at all if it is related to the UPBv2 Indi driver or just my Newbie-ness with Linux. Hopefully this helps a bit :-)

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...7_30.log
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...3_58.log
File Size:5 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...4_56.log
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...0_22.log
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...0_41.log
File Size:116 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...8_37.log

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...9_28.log

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_pegas...5_12.log
File Size:126 KB
4 years 6 months ago #44140

If you're using StellarMate, please use the serial port assistant manager or the SM App to assign permanent designation to each device so that such conflict does not happen.
4 years 6 months ago #44143

Thanks for the tip. I'm using Kstars/Ekos on a headless mini PC/ Ubuntu 18.04. I read some of the posts on persistent port mapping, but thought that this was only for USB-to-serial converters. Would the same technique (/lib/udev/rules.d/) work for regular USB devices?
4 years 6 months ago #44150

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds