INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Right Click--GOTO object

• Thank you received: 49

Replied by Avocette on topic Right Click--GOTO object

I presently run SkySafari on the same iPad as I VNC into my RPi running KStars etc., just to make the GoTo process simpler. SkySafari does also have some Tablet gesture friendly controls of its own of course. But I would certainly support the idea of streamlining the KStars/Ekos/Indi UI if possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 6 months ago #42793

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Right Click--GOTO object

Robert,

Applause!!! I am 100% of your opinion. During observation nights I 100x think "this is arduous and has to be changed" but as early as the next morning everything is forgotten. Thank you very much for bringing this up!
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 6 months ago #42794

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Right Click--GOTO object

Isn’t this what the “centre and track” option does at the top of that same list..??
4 years 6 months ago #42795

This centers and tracks a certain object in the sky map but not in your telescope.
4 years 6 months ago #42797

Even more direct, does something like a "shift-click" exist? Analog to a simple click at an object that centers it in the map, a shift-click would center it in the telescope.j Also, it would be safe as the probability of activating it accidentally is very low.
4 years 6 months ago #42798

• Thank you received: 49

Replied by Avocette on topic Right Click--GOTO object

Not specifically on topic, but on the KStars presentation display/UI, I find that the Kstars window always opens up to the right and down from the centre of the screen where it was when I closed it. This applies to Windows and RPi displays similarly. Also the INDI Control Panel always opens somewhat off screen although when I closed it down or toggled it, I had centred it. This is annoying mostly when I am using VNC to access the RPi through my iPad, when I have more difficulty in dragging a window around the display screen, and some of the toolbar icons are obscured. Am I the only one who has this issue?
4 years 6 months ago #42799

• Thank you received: 420

Same here. 100% in favour of this. Thank you very much!!!

Wouter
4 years 6 months ago #42800

You can save the position of your windows utilizing the corresponding OS function. For instance, in Kubuntu right-click at the window's top frame, select "more options" (or similar, currently I can see the German translation only), "special preferences for this window" and "size and position". Here you can set a permanent position or a position where the window is opened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
4 years 6 months ago #42801

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Right Click--GOTO object

Yes unfortunately that does not work on Ubuntu mate.. :(
4 years 6 months ago #42805

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Right Click--GOTO object

FYI, if I understand you right, I have a reasonable workaround that I have been using.

To set it up, one time only, go to the KStars settings menu, click 'Configure Shortcuts', search for slew, click on 'slew the telescope to the mouse pointer position', and under custom click input, and input some beyboard shortcut, and click OK. I use control-l (letter L) for the shortcut, which overrides something else, but of course you can choose what you want.

Then on the sky map all you have to do is click on your target and type your keyboard shortcut.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Peter Sütterlin
4 years 6 months ago #42806

This is what I have so far. Maybe after 3.3.5 we can revisit this.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 6 months ago #42807
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
That is much better Jasem, the clutter of the multiple INDI submenus that mostly don't do anything and change order every time you connect to the INDI server is gone. The functions you put in that submenu are still very useful and they work well in that submenu, since they are associated with that INDI device and most of them are relevant to the skymap point that you clicked. But the critical Goto function is still in a submenu. The main thing I use the skymap for during an observing session is to look around the sky, select a target, and goto the target. I know that everyone uses the program in different ways, and there are many useful features in the contextual menu, but I think GOTO object is one of the primary commands that should be easily accessible. I think it should right under the Center & Track menu item when telescopes are connected.

Hy's suggestion of a keyboard shortcut to goto an object could be a viable solution to the problem as well. In fact, other Astronomy programs I have seen allow you to select another key while you click on an object, such as ctrl, to tell your telescope to goto the object. That would work well. But it does have a couple of drawbacks. There could be more than one mount connected and which one would go when you ctrl-click the object? Also a keyboard shortcut is not as beginner friendly as a menu item since you can't see any visual indication that you can ctrl-click. Also it might be too easy to accidentally be pushing the button when you click on the skymap and not realize it. But yes, this would be a good solution as long as it is not too easy to accidentally slew your telescope.
4 years 6 months ago #42810

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds