INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Right Click--GOTO object

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Right Click--GOTO object

FYI, if I understand you right, I have a reasonable workaround that I have been using.

To set it up, one time only, go to the KStars settings menu, click 'Configure Shortcuts', search for slew, click on 'slew the telescope to the mouse pointer position', and under custom click input, and input some beyboard shortcut, and click OK. I use control-l (letter L) for the shortcut, which overrides something else, but of course you can choose what you want.

Then on the sky map all you have to do is click on your target and type your keyboard shortcut.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Peter Sütterlin
4 years 6 months ago #42806

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is what I have so far. Maybe after 3.3.5 we can revisit this.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 6 months ago #42807
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
That is much better Jasem, the clutter of the multiple INDI submenus that mostly don't do anything and change order every time you connect to the INDI server is gone. The functions you put in that submenu are still very useful and they work well in that submenu, since they are associated with that INDI device and most of them are relevant to the skymap point that you clicked. But the critical Goto function is still in a submenu. The main thing I use the skymap for during an observing session is to look around the sky, select a target, and goto the target. I know that everyone uses the program in different ways, and there are many useful features in the contextual menu, but I think GOTO object is one of the primary commands that should be easily accessible. I think it should right under the Center & Track menu item when telescopes are connected.

Hy's suggestion of a keyboard shortcut to goto an object could be a viable solution to the problem as well. In fact, other Astronomy programs I have seen allow you to select another key while you click on an object, such as ctrl, to tell your telescope to goto the object. That would work well. But it does have a couple of drawbacks. There could be more than one mount connected and which one would go when you ctrl-click the object? Also a keyboard shortcut is not as beginner friendly as a menu item since you can't see any visual indication that you can ctrl-click. Also it might be too easy to accidentally be pushing the button when you click on the skymap and not realize it. But yes, this would be a good solution as long as it is not too easy to accidentally slew your telescope.
4 years 6 months ago #42810

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Right Click--GOTO object

What I do is this
1. Focus on the object with Find, Double Click or optionally set the advanced option to enable Left Click selects Object.
2. Bind a quick-key shortcut to Slew Telescope to the focused object. I use CTRL+Media Play. CTRL+ helps avoid accidental triggering.
3. Alternately use the Slew telescope to focused object button in the telescope control toolbar.

I also have Slew to mouse pointer bound to CTRL+Return to go to an undesignated coordinate, often referring to the DSS overlay for framing.

Bottom line is I rarely use the right-click popup menu.
4 years 6 months ago #42827

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, I'm also using the toolbar button. Unfortunately that only slews to targets, and not to the position of your FOV. If the target is 'nothing' the mount doesn't move :(

So for me the 'ideal' solution would be to patch the toolbar function to also go to empty positions...
4 years 6 months ago #42855

Try setting up Slew to mouse pointer as a shortcut. Just position the pointer over the location you want and it will GOTO that spot.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Andrew.
4 years 6 months ago #42887

The thing is, for that you have to point exactly at the center of the FOV. I've already defined a 1 arcmin crosshair in the center that I can use for that. But the system of course already knows the exact coordinates, so why do I have to find them myself and click there?
From the user POV, the 'target' is where I'm currently pointing at. I usually first decide on the exact pointing in the starmap (with help of a sensor FOV marker) and once I'm happy I slew there. So a 'Slew to target' should go to whatever the current center coordinates are, and not only if they match some stored target coordinates :(
And if 'slew to target' can really only go to predefined locations, we likely want a new option/function 'slew to pointing coordinates'
4 years 6 months ago #42891

Slew to Target does not go to specific target coordinate, it goes to wherever RA/DE the mount was tracking when you started the solve.
4 years 6 months ago #42892

Hmm, I don't mean the Solve&Slew from Align, but the toolbar icon 'slew to target'. If the displayed target is 'nothing', i.e., not a named object, that button will do nothing.
IMHO it should still move to the center location.....
4 years 6 months ago #42893

I'm thinking it could be clicked by mistake and you don't want to have your mount moving to some random location. Maybe extra confirmation box?
4 years 6 months ago #42896

Don't know - I'm not too big a fan of triple safety nets :D
But the random location could as well be a named target - that doesn't mean you want to go there just because it has a name. So if no one complained so far that the mount went somewhere he/she didn't want it, it's safe to do the same if it is pointing at any coordinates (of course also still with the usual checks like 'below horizon').
I'd say the icon in the toolbar is far enough away (and IIRC not even enabled by default) to not be clicked accidentally.
4 years 6 months ago #42898

The slew to mouse pointer will go wherever the pointer is positioned without having to specify it's coordinates and will effectively do what Right Click>Track does when not on an catalogued target.
Other options you might consider include creating flags or manually add DSO details under the Data tab.
Lastly, are you familiar with the FITS image viewer function that allows your to target an area of an image with WSC coordinates to center onto?
4 years 6 months ago #42926

Time to create page: 0.611 seconds