INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu MATE now works on Raspberry Pi4

• Thank you received: 6
Thanks!

As you know, the Pi4 has reshuffled the connectors, so I had to print a new front for this box. I will include the correct images when I make the final version, after testing full functionality.
On AliB you can find many step-down converters. The one I used is sealed and converts 8-52 down to 5V at 3A. For the Pi4 it is plenty, but I'm not sure about the USB peripherals.
For the Canon I found a battery adapter. When empty it has plenty space to add electronics to convert the 12V down to 7.2 or so.
I really should add some fuses to the 12V outlets, especially for the case I use a battery instead of net power supply.

I attach the box with velcro to the RA housing of my NEQ6, all that is left routing off-mount is one power cable!

Cheers,
Arjan
4 years 4 months ago #45691

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Pi4 is now officially supported by Ubuntu, although it does not come with UI.
I developed a script which installs all imaging software I use plus KDE by default or mate as on option.
The script and instructions are available here:
github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45821

• Thank you received: 74

Thats not what I have read , as of Nov 2019 , read this ubuntu.com/blog/roadmap-for-official-sup...r-the-raspberry-pi-4 only supports 1/2gb etc and USB ports are a fudge ,so where is this "official Ubuntu" fully working version for the Desktop GUI version?

Yes I appreciate you have Astropi4 script to install on top of what looks like RPI3 image :-) I exclude Sellarmate :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 4 months ago #45826

• Thank you received: 7
Hello Alex,
thanks for sharing your work, does it work without issues in your enviroment?
I had some trouble

1. the complete process stopps because sbig-indi (I need it) cannot be found? I commented it out.
2. chromium-browser installation lags several minutes. I commented it out.

After the installation process a nice pink fox was visible via VNC :-)

It take long time until the built-in wireless adapter was visible in the system.

Thomas
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Thomas Jäger.
4 years 4 months ago #45827
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182
I have not tried the Ubuntu 19 installation yet. I have heard about the limitations of the RAM to 3 GB, but don't quite understand where it is coming from, because the installation of Ubuntu MATE 18 on the Pi4 works just fine, with 4 GB of RAM available, zRAM working, Swap working, USB ports working, no problem.

The problem I have with it is with the internal wireless connectivity and the fact that KStars keeps crashing for unknown reasons.

The wireless I have developed a work around, I use a 2.4 GHz dongle to connect initially, then activate the internal wireless after initial connection and then disconnect the dongle. That gives me good and stable 5 GHz connectivity.

The unexplained KStars crashes are a far bigger problem. This is NOT a KStars problem, though, since the same KStars versions work fine on my Zotac mini PC with the same version of Ubuntu MATE, so it must be Pi4 related.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 4 months ago #45830

Thomas,
I did not use this script for real work yet, I only tested the build under the simulator.
Yes, there are some issues with indi drivers in the PPA, although there was no problem with sbig driver at the time when I was building my Pi4.
I guess 19.10 is not fully cooked yet.
I did not notice slowness with wifi, although I mostly connected to it using ethernet. How long does it take for you?
My Pi4 is 2GB version, I guess I was lucky that I did not go with 4GB version.

Here is my older script (see Pi4 section) which I used for building my current production system. Even though this build is very hacky, it is rock solid and I never had problems with it for couple of months:
github.com/avarakin/astropi
The script is a little messy because it started with Mate 16.04, then moved to 18.04 and finally to Pi4, so I am not sure all is working there, but it is very simple so it should be easy to troubleshoot.
Feel free to try and let me know if you run into issues.

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45845

El,
I am running Kstars on Pi4, which is based on 18.04 and I did not have any crashes.
Here is the process I used for building my 18.04 system (see Pi4 section):
github.com/avarakin/astropi

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45846

• Thank you received: 182
Got it!
I used the same server image and just built up the system from there by adding Gnome and MATE desktop environment and other components I wanted.

Crashes may be dependent upon the peripherals that are connected. With my Nikon D3300, I would get these random crashes. When I use my ASI1600MC-Pro instead, so far it looks a lot more stable.
There are still a few idiosyncracies, though: For instance, I cannot Polar align if I choose the mount to go towards the East. Then everything crashes at the solver stage. I need to restart and slew to the West ONLY. Then there is no crash and the solve completes fine.
That could also be mount specific, though, have only tested on iOptron SmartEQPro+ so far.

Anyway, why are you trying to use Ubuntu 19, if 18 gives you full RAM and USB functionality?

Jo
4 years 4 months ago #45847

Just for reference - my equipment is ZWO 174 guider, SBIG ST8300 CCD, OnStep mount.
Never had problems with polar alignment, although I dont use it much given that I use permanent setup most of the time.

I don't like 18 because it is a big hack - Raspbian firmware transplanted into Ubuntu.

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45848

• Thank you received: 4
Hi

This all above is als about ubuntu 18.04 but what about ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi 19.10 its fully supported RP4 . Did some already try Kstars/Indi on this version?
and what desktop do you advise?.

I also understood that the 32bt is more stable

Chris
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Chris Alberts.
4 years 4 months ago #46183

Chris,
The script, which I shared above github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4 is based on the distro you are referring to.
My script installs both Mate and Plasma Desktop. I switch between them once in a while, they both work fine, it is just a matter of preference.

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #46184

• Thank you received: 4
Alex

Thanks, so its based on the 19.10, cool i will check your script, i am folling you now Gith..

Chris
4 years 4 months ago #46185

Time to create page: 1.259 seconds