INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu MATE now works on Raspberry Pi4

• Thank you received: 27

Just for reference - my equipment is ZWO 174 guider, SBIG ST8300 CCD, OnStep mount.
Never had problems with polar alignment, although I dont use it much given that I use permanent setup most of the time.

I don't like 18 because it is a big hack - Raspbian firmware transplanted into Ubuntu.

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45848

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
Hi

This all above is als about ubuntu 18.04 but what about ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi 19.10 its fully supported RP4 . Did some already try Kstars/Indi on this version?
and what desktop do you advise?.

I also understood that the 32bt is more stable

Chris
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Chris Alberts.
4 years 4 months ago #46183

Chris,
The script, which I shared above github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4 is based on the distro you are referring to.
My script installs both Mate and Plasma Desktop. I switch between them once in a while, they both work fine, it is just a matter of preference.

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #46184

• Thank you received: 4
Alex

Thanks, so its based on the 19.10, cool i will check your script, i am folling you now Gith..

Chris
4 years 4 months ago #46185

• Thank you received: 3
Have you had any further luck with the internal wifi? I ask because I have the same problem - the internal wifi cannot even see my home network using Stellarmate OS. However, Astroberry on the same Pi4 has no trouble seeing and connecting without using a dongle.
4 years 3 months ago #46441

• Thank you received: 182
Not definitively yet.

I have added auto wlan0 to /etc/interfaces. That now let’s me see my networks.

It still doesn’t connect automatically to the internal WiFi, though.

I have not gone through this possible solution yet:

weworkweplay.com/play/automatically-conn...i-to-a-wifi-network/

If you try it out, please let us know if it works.

Cheers

Jo
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 3 months ago #46442

• Thank you received: 6
Remove the netplan stuff, it is in the way when you just want to use ifupdown and /dev/network/interfaces to control your networking.

I did it like I described here (in section 2): atm.udjat.nl/stepper/Remote%20Control%20-%20EN.pdf

Edit:
Just found out that hostapd re-initializes the wlan interface, so it has no longer an address.
In the user .profile file I now added at the end:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.3.1
sudo service hostapd restart
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Arjan.
4 years 3 months ago #46454

I had to rebuild my imaging Pi4 about a month ago and I used the latest Ubuntu Server 19.10 images.
I updated my scripts on
github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4
as part of this rebuild.
The issues I observed in the past are solved now and after several imaging sessions, I can conclude that the system is very fast, stable and reliable.
Feel free to use and/or fork and let me know if you see any issues.

Looks like the good old Ubuntu Mate distribution is still lacking support for RPi4. I don't think I will ever go there again - much safer and faster getting the images directly from Ubuntu, given that all groundwork of building the system from Ubuntu Server image is now completed.

BTW, Mate is getting really long in the tooth and I am switching to Gnome 3 on my computers.
It is running surprisingly well on RPi4.
"Dash to Panel" and "System Monitor" Gnome extensions are making Gnome work very similar to Mate.
They are included as part of my script.

Alex
4 years 5 days ago #51060

• Thank you received: 182
I am not sure whether there is really anything substantially different between the official Ubuntu MATE support now and the prior install from the server and sequential updates. I suspect the outcome is pretty much the same.
I did it the old fashioned way, starting from the server and sequentially building up the system and my system is also quite stable now. No reason for me to switch that I can see.
But I am looking forward to hearing the experience others might have.

Of course, by now the official Ubuntu system is 20.04.....
4 years 5 days ago #51061

Agreed, using official Ubuntu Server as a starting point is the way to go.
Using Ubuntu 20.04 might be a little adventurous - it is a daily build and I doubt that PPA builds of Kstars and INDI are fully functional at this point.
Just a few months ago PPA builds for 19.10 of INDI were partially broken, i.e. some drivers were not available and thus indi-full was not installing.
4 years 5 days ago #51065

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I've just got a RP4 4GB that I want to use instead of my current 1GB (or is it 2GB?) RP4. I decided to give the AstroPiMaker4 script a spin. Is there a particular reason that it uses the 32bit Ubuntu version and not the 64bit?

Anders
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Anders Misfeldt.
3 years 11 months ago #51360

Good question. In the past, 64 bit was challenging. Keep in mind that the script does not care if it is 32 bit or 64 bit, so feel free to try and report back.
Before doing this, please check if PPAs have 64 builds of kstars and other software.

Alex
3 years 11 months ago #51362

Time to create page: 1.028 seconds