INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes when taking flats

• Thank you received: 19

Thats not a problem since i use the raw files from the CF Card anyway, when i am working with the DSLR.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
4 years 5 months ago #44167

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160
Working with CR2 lights, flats and darks prevents conversion problems, no doubt about that!
4 years 5 months ago #44168

Well, I think I just stuck to the standard without further thought. :-/ With CR2 files, is all the information that is normally stored in the FITS header, stored in a CR2 header, too? Maybe we should discuss this privately since it is unrelated to the OP's issues.
4 years 5 months ago #44169

• Thank you received: 1

Hello Jasem

Will the fix be available soon? I couldn't take flats at all tonight. Kstars closed each time. Even if a took a flat without the preview, when I opened it in Fits Viewer it still crashed.

David
4 years 5 months ago #44182

You can find the Windows nightly releases here: binary-factory.kde.org/job/KStars_Nightly_win64/
The following user(s) said Thank You: David
4 years 5 months ago #44192

Ok I just committed changes to force the exposure to be aligned with the DSLR preset exposures. Can you please test?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
4 years 5 months ago #44194

Sure, will do today.
4 years 5 months ago #44199

For me it was the first time to compile from git since the new structure was established with 3rd party drivers separated from Indi. I ran into a few problems but I hope I sorted them all out. When I start Indi I can see "Presets" in Indi - Canon DSLR - Main Control. The shutter speeds there 100% match those of my camera. However, in Ekos these shutter speeds are not applied do not show. In the CCD tab I can still choose 0.01 which is not in my cam's list. Also the shutter speeds displayed when clicking the up and down arrows next to the Exposure: field don't match those listed in Indi. I hope this is not due to any mistakes I made compiling. How can I find out the version of indi_gphoto_ccd driver?

FORCE BULB was enabled at startup, had to disable it manually again and again. Saving options didn't have any effect.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Alfred. Reason: I didn't notice the changes at first
4 years 5 months ago #44206

• Thank you received: 0
I wouldn't recommend running this program every time you are imaging, but if there is a reproducible crash and you want to send the details about what causes it, this would be nice.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
4 years 5 months ago #44212

Jasem, now I can see the changes you have made. Thanks a lot for taking the time! The shutter speeds displayed by clicking arrows next to Exposure: remain the same but the actual shutter speeds executed are adjusted to what is offered by the camera. I can still enter 0.01s but Ekos now takes a 1/90s exposure when I do so. I didn't realize this when I posted earlier this evening. So for single exposures it looks like a success. The first logfile is for a 0.01s exposure. Ekos adjusted the shutter speed to 0.11111 which is offered by my camera (1/90s). Perfect!

For flats we're getting closer but didn't succeed yet. The second logfile is for flats of ADU=29500 being requested, starting at 0.01s again.
1) Ekos takes a 1/90s exposure (correct), ADU of the image received is 1070.
2) Ekos reacts by requesting a 0,012500s exposure. The closest match is 1/90s again, ADU is basically the same, 1069.
3) Ekos increases exposure time to 0.015625s which is adjusted to my cam's closest match of 0.01666667s (1/60s, correct). The image received has an ADU of 1086,96.
4) Ekos reacts by requesting a 9,2615s exposure, adjusted to 10s (correct).
5) For whatever reason the 10s picture is not taken by way of "widget shutterspeed" but instead Ekos falls back to "B" mode sending "eosremoterelease press full" and starting a 10s countdown. This is where the procedure fails. Immediately before that, Ekos correctly reports "Closest match: 10 seconds Index: 3 ". I can't see why Ekos does not request a "widget shutterspeed: 3" similar to what it did before. Is there something like a 1s threshold implemented that prevents Ekos from using widget shutterspeed for exposures of >1s? This is not necessary since available shutter speeds range from 1/8000 up to 30s.

Ekos should *never* fall back to "B" mode while the camera is in "M" mode.

Anyway, we're getting there!. I'll be available for more testing today and tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 5 months ago #44218
Attachments:

So the *driver* was always falling back to BULB when the exposure > 1 second. I just removed this limitation in the indi-gphoto driver, so please test. Please note that in my camera (600D), I can still take proper exposures (e.g. 10 s) with camera being in Manual & Bulb modes without using camera predefined exposures. I think this behavior differs in different cameras so this is why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
4 years 5 months ago #44228

I am now able to successfully take flats! I ran a couple tests with several ADU values and it did work very well. I'd like to do more tests before sounding the all clear horn though.

It would be helpful to have a few minor modifications:
- FORCE BULB should be disabled 100% of the time when a "B/M camera" is detected just as you had suggested before.
- Ekos should display an error message once out-of-range shutter speeds are requested. During one of my tests I had entered a too high ADU value. Ekos increased exposure times (just as an example) to 34s which was adjusted to 30s. Since the ADU came in below target, Ekos increased the requested exposure time further to 54s or so which again was adjusted to 30s. In this case the process will fail requesting 3600s flats.
- If the value entered in the Calibration - Tolerance field is too tight, Ekos might be unable to successfully take flats due to the limited number of available shutter speeds.
- In the CCD tab's Exposure field only valid shutter speeds should be accepted/displayed. The up/down arrows should browse through the list of available shutter speeds.
- The CCD tab's countdown should be synchronized with actual shutter speeds. As it is now, Ekos does for instance a 54s countdown while in fact the camera takes a 30s exposure.

Exactly. The 5D can't take bulb exposures in "M" mode. The 600D can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 5 months ago #44237

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds