INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Weather safety

• Thank you received: 17

Weather safety was created by S

Hi!

I'm about to get my observatory in operation and I'm looking at the weather safety drivers. I have a system to monitor clouds (all sky camera), so I know if it is clear or cloudy. I would like to observatory to automatically shut down when the clouds come in and possible automatically open again if they should disappear.

Will the 'Weather Safety Proxy' or 'WeatherWatcher' drivers let me do this? And which is the best of the two?

If not, what is the recommended driver for weather watching?

Best regards
Søren
4 years 6 months ago #43922

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Weather safety

I think any weather driver can be used for this. Wolfgang has been working in this area a lot recently (Observatory tab in Ekos).
4 years 6 months ago #43925

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic Weather safety

If you have your own device that can monitor clouds and rain then you can write an indi weather driver for it.
I did this for my own home-made cloud and rain monitor device -> github.com/dokeeffe/cloud-rain-monitor

If you have an off the shelf weather device then there may already be an INDI 3rd party driver available.

And as Jasem says, the EKOS observatory tab will talk to this driver and do stuff for you (like closing the roof etc)
Also the EKOS scheduler monitors the weather through your driver during a schedule and can perform a shutdown procedure.

Derek
4 years 6 months ago #43934

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Weather safety

Thanks a lot for the answers!

If I can get one of the two drivers I mention to work with my weather system, is there then a reason to write a new driver? Or will these not work with ekos 'observatory tab'?
They basically monitor a file or use a small script to get data if it is clear or not and I can easily work with that....
4 years 6 months ago #43935

AH yes of course, no need to write a driver if you can get one of the existing working. I was not aware of the 'Weather Safety Proxy' driver. It actually looks really good. I think you can configure it with a script to interact with your custom device. Thats the way to go. Less code the better. Actually now it gives me the idea to use it instead of my own custom driver.
Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: S, wotalota
4 years 6 months ago #43936

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by wotalota on topic Weather safety

Derek,
Just a thank you. I used your cloud and rain sensor code to add the same to my obs. I did not use a Raspberry Pi, just the Arduino and ran the web server on the Ekos machine. Then instead of the driver, polled the web server from the Weather Safety Proxy driver as suggested here. The Observatory module took it from there detecting the unsafe condition when raining.

Thanks
Tom
4 years 5 months ago #44503
Attachments:

Tom,
Thats great!! Glad my code could help someone.
Derek
4 years 5 months ago #44519

Time to create page: 0.643 seconds