INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian flip

• Thank you received: 3

Meridian flip was created by Paul Nixon

Last night imaging M31, I (apparently) experienced meridian flip. However, while the camera kept taking pictures, M31 was in frame but no longer centered (see picture).

I didn't do anything special - I actually hadn't anticipated the flip. But based on this video:
and my picture, I think my mount performed the flip rather than Ekos. How else would I have both images of M31 in the same frame?

Anyway, here is the picture:
4 years 5 months ago #44832
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by Brian on topic Meridian flip

I think you have the cem25p? I also have that mount and had something similar happen. When I was done for the night I sent the mount to the home position and noticed it was just slightly off. Later when looking at the images, the target was moved just like yours after the flip. I'm guessing the ra stepper motor slipped during the flip. I was always careful balancing my mount but now I take extra time. So far it hasn't happened again. Might not be your problem.....
I have the mount set to flip a couple of minutes after Ekos . I think Ekos mount meridian flip tab is set to all zeroes and the CEM25P is set to a couple of minutes after meridian. It seems to work fine.
4 years 5 months ago #44836

• Thank you received: 370
It looks like the image you‘ve posted here is a live stack, right? When a meridian flip happens, you need to re-align the image. And you have to take into account in live stacking, that after a meridian flip the image is upside down.

- Wolfgang
4 years 5 months ago #44846

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Meridian flip

I had a similar issue with the Meridian flip on an iOptron SmartEQPro+ mount the other night. The flip was initiated, but during the flip the next exposure was triggered, which caused the flip to be abandoned after the mount had moved by about 10 degrees. The mount then kept that new position and continued to shoot empty sky.

That was with the 10/19 nightly build.

I tried to upload the logs, but realized that I had selected all the logs, including verbose output, but kept the 'Default' setting instead of selecting 'File' . So no logs were saved.

I reverted back to 3.3.6 and will retest as soon as the weather improves. DId not have that problem before. Has anyone experienced that with a non-iOptron mount?
4 years 5 months ago #44902

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Paul Nixon on topic Meridian flip

Hi Brian - I do have the CEM25p. I sure hope it's not motor slippage (or worse, the dreaded gear slip)! ;) However, you gave me the idea to check the settings and I've done something similar to you so thanks!

Hi Wolfgang -not a live stack. It's one of the images captured during the session. I'm sure this is the result of the mount rather than Ekos performing the flip. Last night I had changed the settings and got the flip though there's something I still need to change in the settings.

Hi El Corazan - very interesting. Now I'm anxious to give my DIY mount a try with this!
4 years 5 months ago #44913

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Meridian flip

Yes it really seems that the mount did the flip while the capture was in progress. You should be able to see faint rotating star traces when stretching. Nice puzzling capture indeed :)

-Eric
4 years 5 months ago #44920

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Re:Meridian flip

Cone error could account for some of the misalignment if the flip was not followed up by an alignment routine.
4 years 5 months ago #44932

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds