INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

a big "thank you"

• Thank you received: 8
hi

I suspended my hobby - astro photography - for the last few years, due to lack of time but also because I had too much trouble running my equipment from a Mac, there was always a device not running properly.
I am not a good friend of Windows but I used to have a dedicated Windows notebook running Win32 to control my astro equipment. After the de-release of Win32 I somehow resigned from my hobby.

A few weeks ago my joy for astro photography came back and I started to search for software that runs on a Mac. After long readings and youtube sessions about INDI and KStars I went to my cellar and moved all my equipment into the apartment, connected everything, installed KStars and connected my equipment with the Mac.
Then there was this magic moment when I pressed the "run" INDI button. I didn't see any errors, no "fail" sounds from the computer nothing. It worked on the first click.
I have an AstroPhysics 900GTO, a QHY367C CCD, a SBIG ST-I guider, a Focuxlynx focuser and they were all online. Some configs had to be adjusted and a few things had to be googled and now everything works.

Saying all that I want to give you all a big "thank you". First class software written and maintained by first class people. Unbelievable that you guys are designing and implementing such a complex architecture and also bringing it to us.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Ray Wells
4 years 4 months ago #45896

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic a big "thank you"

Hello Thomas & welcome to INDI forums!

Thank you for the great feedback. We really do appreciate such posts, I am sure a lot of INDI developers feel the same way. I believe it is also useful to share this feedback with the manufacturers as well, the more they about their customers using INDI, the more they are willing to support the platform to grow and flourish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
4 years 4 months ago #45899

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic a big "thank you"

I'm glad to hear that! A few years ago in 2016 when the Mac program I was using called Equinox Image was being abandoned I was a bit frustrated just like you, but then luckily I found out about INDI, which worked on both MacOS and Linux, and I saw KStars working on Linux and I was inspired to join the effort. I was largely motivated to get it working on my Mac just as well as on Linux for myself, but of course in the process, it made it work that way for everyone else too. So I worked with a couple of other volunteers to make changes to KStars to get it working on MacOS. It has actually been a lot of fun and we have added lots of other functionality since then. I have also gotten involved in INDI quite a bit too. It's good to know that it is appreciated by more people than just ourselves. :-). I just built another Mac DMG today that you can test out..
4 years 4 months ago #45905

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by Ray Wells on topic a big "thank you"

I can second this for Linux users!
Having an opensource solution that works has catapulted my foray into the world of remote astronomy,EAA and AP more than any single feature. I would also add that approachable and understanding developers make it even better. Almost every time I interact with opensource developers they are enthusiastic or even excited to have feedback or to help with confusion, of which I've had my share of with this system.

I always tell people: "devs run on hugs..so go give them one." :side:

Cheers and clear skies!
4 years 4 months ago #45906

• Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic a big "thank you"

I totally agree with what is being written. As a Linux user since 1992, I was quite happy when I found out about KStars/EKOS/Indilib. I had used xephem a long time ago but INDI was a revelation. I would have liked then that my mount would have had GOTO capability but it did not stop me from trying to use the Arduino ST4 and the Digital Encoder mount drivers as a very poor man's snail pace goto :-) , even though it was not quite practical. Fortunately I found about the OnStep project and converted my mount to full GOTO capability, and now my system is all INDI controlled. I am currently building a small observatory for astrophotography and the roof control electronics are working under the "Dome Scripting Gateway" INDI driver.

Having been retired for a few years, INDI related development and capabilities bring a lot of motivation and satisfaction to me. Its a great community with very quick and efficient reactivity, thanks to all the contributors.
4 years 4 months ago #45908

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Thomas Pfenninger on topic a big "thank you"

@Blueshawk
Being a software engineer myself I totally agree with your statementToday I had a workshop with developers to bring the agile mindset closer to them. During this workshop there was one developer complaining that his clients never say "thank you" but usually just blame and shout. I asked him if he ever thanked his clients for something the client did for him and he answered "this is not part of our culture". Following we had very interesting and at the end also clarifying discussions.
Here in Switzerland we say "in the same way you speak to the forest the forest speaks back with you" and I believe that this points out perfectly how we all "run on hugs".

@rlancaste
Yes I was also using Equinox a few years back. It was a good base but never came out of its alpha or beta phase. I later bought the commercial TheSkyX but even with this pretty expensive product I always had problems.

@knro
Thanks for your heads up. You can be sure that I send my experience to the manufacturers. I bought a new QHY CCD and the software they deliver together with the camera is not at all comparable with what you brought to live with INDI.

Tomorrow there is a tiny chance for a clear sky here and I can't wait to spend a night out in the cold under the clear sky, knowing that all my equipment is doing what I want it to do.

I'm totally glad that I found Stars and INDI and you guys !!

Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells, Jose Corazon
4 years 4 months ago #45982

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic a big "thank you"

I second all of that, Thomas!

As for speaking into the forest: I know what you mean. I always feel guilty when I find a bug in Indi or Ekos and report it here. Sounds so much like nagging, but really only is conscientious testing and ultimately helps to improve the program (I hope).
4 years 4 months ago #45986

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic a big "thank you"

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I feel like I might have reported too many issues already, I even refrain from reporting more.
4 years 4 months ago #45996

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds