INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment

• Thank you received: 69
Well I actually have both already :)

I find I prefer the Odroid-N2, seems snappier. Much of that is likely due to the eMMC vs SD.

I'm a complete novice with electronics, so this looks similar, but maybe not sufficiently so.

4 years 3 months ago #46368
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
I leave it to Pierros to decide whether that would work or not. My way of putting together PC components involves switching on the power and then watching closely whether I see smoke or sparks somewhere.
I had a slight wiring mishap a few years ago and as it happened, my wife came into the room as the motherboard was literally sending up smoke signals.
I still have not lived that one down, that is a favorite story of hers whenever the topic of any conversation drifts into computers and electronics.

As for the Odroid being snappier, I think you have put your finger on the money. It's the eMMC that makes all the difference. I am booting my Pi4 off an SSD and the difference between that and booting from an SD card is also pretty stunning.
4 years 3 months ago #46369

• Thank you received: 38

Noted! I am all for leaving extra ports for things that might be useful in the future ;) Although I think that the cooling tower is a bit of an overkill as others said (due to latest developments on firmware and target environments). I will be adding a port of 5V+ and GND with a simple JST-XH connector just in case though ;)
4 years 3 months ago #46371

Please send links to any suggested ones! Would love to get some input on viable replacements for 5.5x2.1 DC plugs (while possibly retaining backwards compat?)
4 years 3 months ago #46372

Electrically speaking they seem compatible. I wouldn't be worried about the signal levels and GND positions too much, but rather be extremely worried about the software side of things and how we can access this "Extra" functionality we are asking from pins.

I am really pushing the envelope with RPi4 alternative functions on pins and trying to squeeze out as much functionality as possible, such as i2C, 2x SPI, Serial TTL, many GPIOs and PWMs.. so yeah, it would have to involve some testing to verify compatibility, but it will not elect a new pope in the process of doing so ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 3 months ago #46373

• Thank you received: 2
My 2 cents, i would prefer if one or a few of the 12v output ports could be adjusted from 5 to 15V. I power my equipment from a deep cycle battery and in order for my mount not to have the blinking LED which means it doesn't have sufficient voltage, and it affects guiding, and for my camera to perform with no issues i power my equipment with 13,5V. I still haven't see this feature in any power box which means i have to power the power box with 13,5v and then distribute those 13,5v via the power box to my equipment for proper functionality.
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
4 years 3 months ago #46375

• Thank you received: 182

With respect to target environment: the nights in Texas can be pretty toasty in summer - upwards of 30 degrees C.

Even with that cooling tower, the Pi4 will get pretty hot around here. It shut down on me a few times due to overheating even this late in summer before I had the tower.
As for the firmware making the Pi4 more efficient: will that work on the Pi running Ubuntu?
4 years 3 months ago #46378

That's an excellent point. Here it can reach 45C in the summer at night, so active cooling for RPI4 is absolutely necessary.
4 years 3 months ago #46379

Some clarifications. The design as it is right now will supply to the channels whatever is supplied as VIN. Another 2 channels (Dew heaters) are PWM adjusted and 1 channel is LDO adjusted to 6-(VIN-something small). VIN in theory can be up to 16V, although I should probably protect the circuit at around 14.8-15V. Having an adjustable output that can go beyond the VIN would require a buck-boost circuitry that complicates the design at this point. If this is deemed critical, I would be happy to take a pass though.

This is a diagram to make it easier for people to see the main features:

As for active cooling I hope that the 5V port would be OK for a fan, but we really need to think about the fan placement. Having the boards at hand will help with that :)
4 years 3 months ago #46380
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 9
Explaining computers did a quick test last week.
I would say however the second device where the heatsinks sandwich the board is a bit of a designers wet dream since the lower half is the most expansive but is not really thermally connected to the board only at the screw lugs to the top.
I prefer the Kodi branded unit since it performed better and totally enclosed the board.
Neither of course are suitable for a two layer stack but give insight into what works best. Use that knowledge to find other similar but taller solutions which no doubt will be available now or in the near future.
Personally I am using the Rock Pi 4 running a DIY Stellarmate install. They have a solution to house their board and an second layer and SSD. Rock Pi 4 sensibly placed the SOC on the bottom of their board making heatsinking much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MATHIEU CARBOU
4 years 3 months ago #46384

• Thank you received: 9
never mind I looked closer at the features and you have my request covered
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Rob.
4 years 3 months ago #46386

Backside with some additional ports as requested:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 3 months ago #46392
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.265 seconds