INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Power in the field for RPi 4?

• Thank you received: 86
I am using:
-- TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh battery pack (there are two versions - one with an additional 5V out, the other - without 5V, only 12V). That 5V output doesn't work with RPI - you need 12V and
-- Sabrent 7 Port USB 3.0 HUB + 2 Charging Ports with 12V/4A Power Adapter
also I use
-- a Y-cable - HIGHROCK 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord

12v from battery --> hub (5v) ---> Y-cable (from the two "red" charging ports) ---> RPI

USB-A-to-C dongle should work.
I use the same hub to connect all my equipment to RPI.
Lasts all night.
I use another 6000mAh battery to power CCD cameras. 3000mAh - to power the mount. another 3000mAh - to power a dew heater. another 3000mAh to power a 10" HDMI monitor.
www.indilib.org/forum/gallery/1014-post-....html?start=72#44888

HTH
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Wayne
4 years 3 months ago #46726

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Thanks, that's reassuring. My hub is an Anker product, but from your description I think it will serve. Oddly, though, if I try to power the Pi off the charging port (my hub sports but one), it doesn't go. Off a "regular" USB port, it does.
4 years 3 months ago #46742

• Thank you received: 226
I am using the DockerPi power board. It takes 12V, powers the Pi, has an on/off button and IR remote. It has a small fan that keeps the Pi from over heating. Plus a couple 12V header pins that can be routed to power other devices.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Wayne, Craig
4 years 3 months ago #46750

ZOMG that's brilliant! It's even got a barrel connector! OK, bookmarking THAT bad boy right the heck now.
4 years 3 months ago #46751

• Thank you received: 74

I presume it is using the header pin to supply the 5v as the older GPIO route is not allowed on the 4 (so I have read) - as this method does not provide any protection do you know if that board provides the equiv protection as provided by the c-type connector ?

"You can not power the Pi through GPIO pins, however you always have been able to power through the 5V & Gnd pins on the expansion header.

Many HATs do this, and the Foundation has documentation on this. See github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blo ... pio-header

Indeed on the PI 4 the 5V pins are directly connected to the power on the USB-C power connector "
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 3 months ago #46754

I f I go with something like the DockerPi, I suspect I'll just ditch the powered hub altogether. It never worked for the mount or the USB GPS dongle on my Pi, so all I could ever plug into it was the camera and guide camera. Since I'm using a ZWO camera with two USB 2.0 ports on it now, I plug the filter wheel and the guide cam into those, then a USB 3 cable to the hub; that and the power cable to the Pi are all that's connected to it! Since the 4 has USB 3.0, it should work even better to plug the USB 3 cable straight into the Pi, along with the GPS and the mount, which can go in the 2.0 ports. Two fewer cables, one fewer box.

I was seriously considering sticking the Pi onto the telescope so that the only cables that have to move when the mount does will be the power to the Pi and to the TEC cooler on the camera. I suppose I could gin up something to connect the TEC to the 12V output on the DockerPi so that there would be only one.

The fan on the DockerPi doesn't produce enough vibration to worry about having on the scope, does it? I'd probably use Velcro anyway, which would provide a bit of cushioning.
4 years 3 months ago #46761

• Thank you received: 226
The DockerPi fan is only 30mm and runs quietly. I don't believe vibration will be a concern.
It powers the Pi with the power pins on the 40pin GPIO header, and it communicates with the Pi via I2C when commanding it to shutdown.

You will have to customize your PI's case for it.
4 years 3 months ago #46762

• Thank you received: 0
I don't have Pi 4, but an Android TV box running kstars/ekos on armbian which needs 5V 3A as well.

I use a 12V to 5V/3A Buck converter to connect to my Harbor Freight 3-in-1 Power Pack battery's lighter plug.

Buck Converter

An adapter would be needed to connect to the USB C of the Pi 4.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by A Nomer.
4 years 3 months ago #46833

• Thank you received: 10
  • Thank you received: 3

Very interesting. I'm currently using a USB-A type supply (only 2.4 A), simply because I was worried that if I bought a USB-C supply it might not like the Pi and supply no power or limit to low current mode.

I have had a couple of times where the Pi has stopped responding then found the red power led is off which seems to suggest low power supply.
RPi 4B (4gb) running Stellarmate OS
Skywatcher Quattro 250 with f4 coma corrector
Skywatcher Evostar 80ED with 0.85 reducer/flattener
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6,
ASI1600MM Pro with ZWO 8x1.25" EFW,
Guide scope 50x190mm, Guide camera ASI290MM
ZWO EAF focuser
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 3 months ago #46889

Thanks again all. For my particular rig, the 12V barrel connector and the fan make the DockerPi board ideal, so that's what I'm going with. Probably going with a HighPi case that has room for the hat, unless my friend prints me a case. Conceivably I might get a touchscreen and go with that, obviating WiFi problems most of the time, but then it would suck up more power and dollars.
4 years 3 months ago #46892

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Brent on topic Power in the field for RPi 4?

you want at least 5 amps at 5v
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 3 months ago #46893

Time to create page: 0.965 seconds