INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

"Real" stable

• Thank you received: 8

"Real" stable was created by Fabio Papa

Hi all,
first of all, let me be clear this is no way to be taken as a critique to anything done here. I enjoy indi and kstars/ekos a whole lot, and I use it in the field with great pleasure. This post is a genuine question on how to solve a very specific request from someone rather illiterate at computers.
So I helped this friend of mine get into this RPI4 business. We had a mostly trouble free night playing with ekos after a slow start which was comprised of a really strange issue with the skysensor driver, for which I wrote a separate topic, and kstars crashing twice in a seemingly random way.
So the question got raised: is this really stable? What if I wanted something more stable than the stable PPA provides? I see kstars is named "bleeding", which isn't very reassuring, but the PPA doesn't carry a non bleeding release and ubuntu seems slow to carry new releases of the software.
As for indi libraries, this seems solveable by manually compiling the 1.8.2 release, downloaded from git. I compiled this with no issues and I'm just asking if this would be better than PPA stable, always considering the stable part of the equation.

Thanks for any thoughts!
4 years 3 months ago #47218

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic "Real" stable

The “stable”PPA version is fine, it’s the beta nightly PPA version that you may want to avoid as that one is for testing purposes and trying new code, but can cause issues
4 years 3 months ago #47219

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Fabio Papa on topic "Real" stable

I agree it's fine most times, but not always. When I installed this friend RPI4, I was unable to use the PPA due to an error, I presume, in one of the packages dependencies. After a few days, it was installable again. Also, in the past, I had some drivers work wrong, like EQMOD, which at the time was going through some rewrite, IIRC.
I'm just unsure how the current PPA compares to the released version, 1.8.2.
4 years 3 months ago #47224

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic "Real" stable

The current PPA is exactly the same as the latest released version, its the nightly PPA that is more likely unstable...I think you are getting confused between the two... :)
4 years 3 months ago #47225

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic "Real" stable

So right even the "Stable" PPA has issue for some users. If you get a crash, submitting a crash log would be useful to track it down.
4 years 3 months ago #47226

• Thank you received: 94

Replied by alacant on topic "Real" stable

Hi
I used to have 2 laptops. One which worked every time and which was never updated, the other to help test new stuff.
Now, I can do it with just one: keep a build you know works for you and run new stuff from the build directory. Just remember NOT to call 'make install'.
HTH
4 years 3 months ago #47268

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds