INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Frustration !!!!

• Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic Frustration !!!!

Just to let you know, I run my setup with a ODroid N2 with ZWO ASI1600MM Pro (USB 3). No problems here.

Good luck with your decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
4 years 1 month ago #49825

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Steve Crossman on topic Frustration !!!!

El Corazon - What kind of frame rates to you get with RPi4 and a ZWO USB 3 camera in video mode, in the CCD Section?

The new ASI533MC fails to get even 2 FPS. and downloading an image takes just under 3 seconds. Something is amiss as it is much slower than the ASI120mm mini where I can get 20FPS
4 years 1 month ago #49826

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Frustration !!!!

I am not sure anything is amiss here. The ASI120 has 1.2 MP, the ASI533 has >9MP. So it makes sense that the frame rate is 10x slower for the ASI553 than for the AS120. ~10x more data are transmitted per frame.

That being said, I am not using the video capture in Ekos, because it is pretty slow. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get FireCapture to run the Rpi4 or PlanetaryImager. Their architectures are incompatible with the armhf architecture of the Rpi4 and when I am adding amd64 architecture I have other conflicts with dependencies that continue to crop up. I am using a miniPC with amd64 running Ubuntu for video capture purposes. The Rpi4 in my hands only works well for still captures.
4 years 1 month ago #49827

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Frustration !!!!

On your N2, could you please install github.com/mvp/uhubctl and let me know if it cuts the USB port power correctly or not please?
4 years 1 month ago #49831

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Steve Crossman on topic Frustration !!!!

My D7500 DSLR had higher resolution than the 533MC does, 22MP vs. 9MP and it routinely gave 15fps or higher, even on the RPi3. Makes focusing difficult a 2FPS, especially with the amount of lag. I don't think 2FPS is normal for a USB3 device and the 120mm is USB2. I am using the USB2 hub built-in to the 533 and maybe those connections are slowing the rest of it down. I think I will put the mount direct to USB2 on the RPi4.
4 years 1 month ago #49832

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Frustration !!!!

The DSLR is using a lower resolution jpeg stream, this is why the stream is faster. The 2 FPS is normal. If you're on a PC and running it locally, it might get higher. Now if you bin 4x4 then it might be better.
4 years 1 month ago #49835

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Frustration !!!!

1600 vs 183 on my Megrez 72

4 years 1 month ago #49836
Attachments:

Either camera should be fine with your telescope. The 1600 has slightly higher full well capacity, so improved dynamic range, but the smaller pixels allow you to use it more effectively for planetary lucky imaging, which is what I want to primarily use the 183 for. Also, the 1600 has a larger FOV, while the 183 may have higher resolving power with a short refractor, so that may also become a factor for your decision making. Depends on what targets you are aiming for.
4 years 1 month ago #49838

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic Frustration !!!!

Hi GonzoTheGreat,

If you really want to keep using a Atik 314, Have a look at this: www.te-les-koop.nl/index.html?BekijkAdvertentie.php&key=31423
te-les-koop.nl is a sort of Dutch craigslist specially for telescopes (in Dutch, 'te koop' means for sale).

I have an ASI1600MM cool (the version with the hub, but no memory buffer) and I've used it before on a stellarmate with only USB 2 ports succesfully. No significant problems with amp-glow either (although I read that with USB 3 it's even less).
I'm using it in combination with 1.25" mounted Baader filters in an EFW mini mounted on an F4.8 telescope (the Mak-Newt 'comet hunter'). There is some vignetting, but it's modest and can be corrected for. The image circle of the ASI183 is about 16 mm, compared to the 22 mm for the ASI1600, so I don't expect any problems with that, even on a fast system.
An advantage of the ASI1600 is the (small) flange to focal plane distance of 6.5 mm, that screws directly in the EFW so the filters are only a few mm's away from the camera front window.
I highly recommend cooling! Maybe with planetary and lunar imaging it's no issue, with longer exposures it is.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though, electronic gremlins are the worst!
4 years 1 month ago #49845

I will look into that tonight or tomorrow morning (UTC-5) as I have a few other things to look into first.

I assume that you want to confirm that 'uhubctl' cuts power to the N2 USB ports. Any ways to easily confirm that it does it correctly so that I provide you with the info you want?

Thanks.
4 years 1 month ago #49850

I think he wants to use that to disconnect the power to the cameras through remote control via the internet. So the simplest way to do it would be to check whether the cameras on your system disconnect when the power to the USB is cut. Another simple way would be to plug a device that can be charged through USB, e.g. your phone, into the port and check whether charging stops when USB power is cut. Or anything that has an LED that is dependent upon USB power.
4 years 1 month ago #49853

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.

I did some test tonight and I am a little skeptical on how power is controlled. I had a USB LED light connected to one of the USB 3 ports. Turning off power individually or globally using uhubctl did not turn off the LEDs. On the other hand, I had a USB key connected to another port and it disconnected and re-connected when the port was turned off and on.

Will do some more tests tomorrow morning with an Arduino running 'blink' and/or a phone charger to try to figure things out. To be continued...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
4 years 1 month ago #49859

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds