How to increase the mount connection's timeout #47393
I'm a new user of KStars/Enos/INDI. I have successfully migrated almost everything from my old Mac/VMware/Window8/CartesDuCiel&MaximDL world to the KStars/Ekos/INDI world directly on my Macbook computer. I believe I only have one unresolved issue. The INDI Control Panel for my Takahashi Temma mount correctly identifies my newly purchased Serial-to-USB connector as /dev/cu.usbserial. But, when I try to connect I get a SEND COMMAND: Timeout error. The error appears after only a few seconds. In the past when I've connected to my mount via CartesDuCiel, it takes a good 10 seconds before the connection is established. So, I'm assuming that the only remaining problem is that the "timeout" time limit is too brief. How does one set a longer time interval?
How to increase the mount connection's timeout #47416
Time out is hard-coded to 5 seconds, which is already longer than the usual 3-sec timeout used by other drivers. It seems odd for a serial response to take that long. You can of course download the source code, change the timeout to 10 and test. Somehow I don't think it's only related to that.
How to increase the mount connection's timeout #47419
Could it be that the driver is sending several serial commands to the mount which correctly time out? Sometimes the only way to tell if a feature is present is to try it once and use a timeout as a signal that it isn't available.
How to increase the mount connection's timeout #47431
It's failing on the initial handshake to get the version number. I suggest you turn "Auto Search" off and try to select the port manually and then connect. I saw a comment inside the code about problems with initial communication, maybe it can be made more bullet proof.
How to increase the mount connection's timeout #47440
Attached is a new Log file. I disabled autoscan and tried to connect to cu.usbserial and I got the same timeout message. I then manually changed cu.usbserial to tty.usbserial and again clicked connect. This time nothing happen. No connection. No error message. Nothing. Had to click the "Stop" button in Ekos. And, when I clicked on "Start" again in Ekos, the autoscan was turned back on. Don't know how to turn it off globally.
After the git was complete, I followed the instructions to "Build indi-core". In the last command to "sudo make install", I got an error message that "uint" is not defined. To fix that, I added a single line to the top of the header file indicom.h...
typedef unsigned int uint;
That fixed the compilation issue and the "sudo make install" command successfully built the indi code locally on my machine.
I then searched for the Takahashi Temma part of the code and found the file indi/drivers/telescope/temmadriver.cpp and I discovered the "#define TEMMA_TIMEOUT 5" right near the top of the code. I changed the 5 to 20 and did a recompile.
I did this build in a local folder, not in the folder containing the actual KStars app stuff. So, the next step is to figure out what files need to be updated in the KStars app. My guess is that I just need to update
with the new version of indi_temma_telescope.
I made that one file change and then I fired up KStars, clicked on the Ekos observatory, and clicked on the "start" button. Unfortunately, I then get a pop-up window saying