INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Multiple Zwo Cameras

• Thank you received: 559
I'm trying to configure Ekos with a ZWO 1600 for imaging, and a ZWO 290 for guiding.
I don't see how to do that. In the configuration setup, I selected ZWO CCD for both Guider and CCD in the Profile editor.
I connect both cameras, start up Indi, but we only get one camera tab in the indi window, and don't think we have the guider connected.

Is this possible? How should we proceed?
Thanks,
Hy
4 years 2 months ago #47866

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Hello Hy,

I can confirm that 2 ZWO cameras are ok. I use the same ZWO driver (specified separately) for imaging and guiding cam (183, 290). Both function ok. The guider shows as expected via the KStars/Ekos GUI guide output, and I get main telescope images via the normal FITs viewer output. Now if only that pesky memory leak in the FITs viewer would get solved so we can use it again.....

Cheers, DougS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
4 years 2 months ago #47868

• Thank you received: 16
Hy,

I currently run an ASI071MC Pro (main camera) and an ASI178MM (guider) and set them up in the Profile editor as you do by choosing ZWO CCD for both cameras. I run them on a Pi 3 (Ubuntu), PI 4 (Raspbian Buster), and Tinkerboard (Ubuntu Armbian).

At present they work fine on all these platforms, however about a year or so back I was having a similar problem as you describe. I worked around it by plugging the ASI071MCPro into the USB port first then followed by the ASI178MM. Another method that worked was to connect the ASI178MM to the USB hub on the back of the ASI071MC Pro. Ultimately this was corrected by a driver update many months back and I have not had any problem since then. I did an indoor test earlier today while setting up the PI 4 and both cameras operated correctly (the PI 4 was booted up with both cameras already plugged into the two USB 3 ports). Maybe this workaround will get you going until the solution is found.

Hope that helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hy Murveit
4 years 2 months ago #47869

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Thanks you two. It turned out that plugging the 290 into the 1600 did the trick (whereas plugging both into the powered hub didn't work).
Love this forum!
Hy
4 years 2 months ago #47871

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Steve Crossman on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Does anyone know if the ZWO ASI533MC Pro USB3 is supported yet?

thanks
Mac
4 years 2 months ago #47892

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Educated guess, but since the ZWO site does a side-by-side comparison of the 533 MC pro to the 183MC pro, and knowing that their driver supports most if not all of their cameras, I don't see anything in the specs that would suggest that the existing ZWO camera driver in KStars/Ekos wouldn't drive it correctly. I think the issue at the moment is that Pi4, USB3.0, and ZWO USB3.0 capable cameras don't play well with Pi4. The Pi4 hotspot is locking up when connecting to a USB3.0 port (see other posts). Most of us who have ZWO 3.0 cams are using the USB2.0 ports on our Pi4s until this issue gets resolved. This is definitely not ideal, and we all wait anxiously for that issue to be solved. The only other issue is that it seems that for the higher resolution cams, there's either a memory leak or thread sync issue that is affecting use of preview and FITS viewer (again, see other posts). Otherwise, these OSC cams work well under KStars/Ekos. I have an ASI183MC Pro and I like it.
4 years 2 months ago #47894

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Steve Crossman on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Thanks @dmsummers for the reply.

That's discouraging about USB3 support under Pi4 with ZWO cameras as I just upgraded for that reason in anticipation of getting the 533. I could live with USB2 until it's resolved as I am tired of leaving my DSLR out in the weather. I've seen the memory leak error myself on Pi3 to where it grinds to a halt and no longer responds properly to click via noVNC.
4 years 2 months ago #47896

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

This issue is resolved in SM OS v1.4.7 for RPI4 with a kernel update. Would release SM OS v1.4.7 beta for testing soon.
4 years 2 months ago #47911

• Thank you received: 6
The ASI533MC Pro works fine on SM/RPI4 via USB3 (I use ethernet, no hotspot). I got the 533 last week, have used it the last two Fridays (yep, no 1 month of cloudy nights when buying new gear :) )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Crossman
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Keld Henningsen.
4 years 2 months ago #47914

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Dirk on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Hi,
I tried 2 ZWO cameras yesterday for the first time. I selected ZWO CCD for CCD and nothing for Guider, both cameras showed up and worked fine. If you select ZWO CCD for CCD and Guider in the profile editor, won't that start two Indi_asi_ccd instances?

Regards

Dirk
4 years 2 months ago #47921

• Thank you received: 6
If you use both a ZWO camera for imaging and guiding, the guidecam selection will be deleted in the profile editor.
It will only show the ZWO camera for imaging.
4 years 2 months ago #47926

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Mireia on topic Multiple Zwo Cameras

Sorry to revive this old thread, but is the use of more than one ZWO still so-so in terms of performance/issues or is it now working flawlessly?
1 year 4 months ago #88372

Time to create page: 0.757 seconds