INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:KStars Mac DMG 3.4.0 beta testing needed

• Thank you received: 420
The command line that gets executed is shown in the console of Ekos at the bottom of the window. What happens when you copy and paste that into a terminal? Can you post the output here?
4 years 1 month ago #48690

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Sorry about the delay, this week I am currently in the middle of giving midterm exams.

carkinzo, did you try the previous version of KStars or just the beta version that I released in this forum? You are posting about a crashed process, but it isn't clear whether this is an issue with the current DMG or if this is an issue on your system? This is a beta DMG you know. . . The advice that Wouter posted for you is good advice on getting things all set up and working on Mac. Thanks Wouter! The last bit of advice he gave you is very good for helping us to see what is actually going wrong on your system. Sometimes running from the command line reveals more information about an error than running the solver from KStars. I would recommend trying to plate solve something in the simulators, then if it the solver crashes, copy and paste the commands to your terminal and see what happens. It should tell us the problem I think.
4 years 1 month ago #48698

Thank you for testing and providing advice as well Mactech! The column widths that you mentioned is not a bug. Basically I had made them resizable before, but that actually was causing more problems than it was worth since there were some complaints about it, so I made the columns autosize based on their contents as a solution to the problem.
4 years 1 month ago #48699

cxxone,

I am not sure about a moonlite bug, but I guess it is possible that I built this DMG before he fixed the bug? I am going to build a new DMG shortly and we will see if the problem still exists.

Lead_weight,

Yes Astrometry.net greatly depends on Python 3. If there are any issues with its installation, there would be problems with astrometry.net. ASTAP, however, should not be affected by that. But ASTAP is very finicky I have found. On some images, it works immediately and efficiently, others it doesn't solve at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 1 month ago #48700

mactech,

I don't know about what might be causing high CPU usage. KStars is a complex program with lots of processes and features. I would expect it to have higher CPU usage than something like a text editor just due to all the work it has to do. But I don't know other than that.
4 years 1 month ago #48701

I will probably build another beta tomorrow since Jasem reported that he has been working on a fixing a significant bug and might be almost done.
4 years 1 month ago #48702

• Thank you received: 92

I you have saved some of those unsolved images (/tmp/*.fits), could you provide them for further investigation?

Han

ASTAP checklist:

- at least 30 stars are visible
- reasonable round stars
- image size at least 1.5 megapixels
- correct fov specified
4 years 1 month ago #48707

• Thank you received: 139

What’s the right version of Python 3? I have multiple versions installed, which could be conflicting.
4 years 1 month ago #48734

So the version of python3 I have it setup to use by default is the homebrew python3. But you should be able to change that by typing in the path to your folder python3 is located in in the astrometry preferences/options in KStars. You also need to be sure that whatever python3 you are using has astropy installed in its site packages. You can always test from the command line (making sure that you enter all the commands KStars is using) and hopefully you can find out any issues python or astrometry.net is having.
4 years 1 month ago #48735

• Thank you received: 0
Then I'll try to explain it:
To do the tests, I've always used the simulator.
I tried not only this beta of yours, but an earlier version, and even with this one I had the same problem.
Regarding the last advice, unfortunately the google translator doesn't
he did the translation well, so I didn't understand anything.
As for the speech at the Terminal, unfortunately, I didn't.
I know how to use, so I don't know what to do.
Maybe if you can explain me step by step the procedures, as you would with a child, maybe I could do it ;-)
As far as Python is concerned, I clicked on the setup button
and I left it up to him, so I don't know if it was all installed and
if everything has been installed correctly.
Thanks

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
4 years 1 month ago #48746

• Thank you received: 20
Something must be dorfed with my Mac's setup. Just like the previous version, when I try to run the Simulators profile it complains about inability to connect on 7642.
4 years 1 month ago #48748

carkinzo,

I don't suspect that your python version is causing any problems, that post was for "Lead_weight" not you.

Here is an example of what Wouter was describing. I did this just now in the latest version of KStars and took a screenshot. First make sure that Logging is turned on for Alignment, you will see more about what is going on in KStars

Then plate solve an image in the simulator. You should see lots of things print out in the console. Copy and paste the line that says "export PATH= . . . " Hit enter. Also copy and paste the line that says "/Applications/KStars.app . . ." Then hit enter. Be sure you don't copy anything that is not commands, like dates, time stamps, etc. In this screen shot, I show you the exact commands that I copied and pasted. And how it looks in terminal when I do so. Just be careful you don't get extra stuff like "Starting solver" in there.

4 years 1 month ago #48752
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds