INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:KStars Mac DMG 3.4.0 beta testing needed

• Thank you received: 28
Sounds great,
I still use the image2xy as provided in the astrometry.net package (as I don't want to take care of managing all the libraries attached to the binaries) and than solve-field. That's it. So far I did not had any issues. One hint: I looked around the last hour how things are made in different packages and the the Astrometry package including astrometry.net which is provided by cloudmakers (many thanks for that really nice package and all the support for Mac's !!!) also does not use python, but just calls image2xy and solve-field.
Michel
4 years 2 months ago #49290

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 811
So I worked very hard over the last couple of days on the issue and I think I managed to create a version of KStars that is capable of using Sextractor to extract the sources for an image and then feed that into
astrometry.net, avoiding any use of python whatsoever. It doesn't use numpy, image2xy, or anything else. Just Sextractor and astrometry.net. Note that, this version of KStars is still fully functional and still
contains the ability to solve with python. It just also includes an option to avoid python.

Please test this on a system that has python issues like the ones I have been trying to help people with on the last week.

www.indilib.org/jdownloads/kstars/beta/kstars-3.4.0-beta3.dmg

In order to turn off the usage of python, you will need to configure astrometry.net like this:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 2 months ago #49352
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 139
Thanks for the hard work! I’ll give it a go tonight.
4 years 2 months ago #49370

I tested this on Linux and it works GREAT, faster too than using Python. This is truly spectacular work Robert, it felt like I'm using ASTAP for a moment :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Lancaster
4 years 2 months ago #49379

• Thank you received: 0
Because of the bad weather, I can't test.
If that's okay, I can try Simulator mode,
I also wanted to ask you two questions:
1) Have you read my post where I speak of being able to do before the alignments with the computer of the mount? What do you think about it?
2) I did not understand the discourse of turning off rotation.
If you refer to the item rotate in the Astrometry.net options,
where by default there is the number 30, I have always kept it off. Am I wrong?
I'll also make you a third:
since this works for me, isn't it that trying the new settings of the new version I can have problems?
Thank you.
4 years 2 months ago #49380

1. I don't think you need to do alignment stars before plate solving. I never do that now that I plate solve. I use the plate solves as the alignment points.
2. I don't know about turning off rotation? I think my last suggestion to you was to use "sync", not "slew to target." I might have forgotten?
3. I don't know about the rotator option. I also have kept it off, I don't have a rotator for my telescope so I haven't even thought about that option.
4. Nope, trying out the new setting of using sextractor will not hurt your setup, you can always change it back to whatever you were using before. My addition of the new setting doesn't break the old functionality.
4 years 2 months ago #49381

Ok, I've tried it out, and I didn't have a very successful run.

After installing and setting the new sextractor preferences, it solved the simulation image immediately. Very fast. Then I tried loading an image from my EdgeHD 11 scope, and it failed. So I stopped the server, went into the preferences and set the scope to the Edge so that it would have any focal length info it needed, and tried solving again, and it failed. Then I tried the simulation image again, and that failed too with the Edge set as the scope.

Here's the logs and screen of my settings.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2020-02-02.zip
File Size:41 KB
4 years 2 months ago #49383
Attachments:

Well failing to solve is not the same as failing to work due to crashing/incompatible python or stuff like that. Glad to hear that it solved once.

Astrometry is like a fine art, you need to play with all the settings to get a good plate solve. Did you download all the index files that would be needed? The real images of the sky will solve with different files than the simulator. You also should try adjusting some settings such as exposure time, downsampling, using the scale, using the position info, when you take an image and solve it.

Did you plate solve and then just save the focal length and then try to plate solve again? That won't work because it will have the solve information from the first solve and will use that to inform the next solve and make it faster.
4 years 2 months ago #49385

I can't, for the life of me, get it to work.

Here's the image I'm using.

According to the Fov calculator it should be 0.69° x 0.46° but it doesn't solve with that in there. So I tried a blind solve on Nova.astrometry.net and it says the size of the image is 40.8 x 27.3 deg. I tried both those options in the FOV setting for EKOS and it didn't work with either. I have all except 2°-4°, which I've never needed before. Let me know what parameters you think I need to change.

4 years 2 months ago #49387
Attachments:

Are you using "Load and Slew" to do this?
4 years 2 months ago #49388

Yeah. Is there another way to solve a captured image? I've been doing this with the simulators loaded, and using an image that I've captured previously.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 2 months ago #49389

Hmm, I just tried "Load and Slew." it didn't work. I might not have implemented sextractor for "Load and Slew". Oops. Let me check that one. . .
4 years 2 months ago #49390

Time to create page: 0.425 seconds