INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

LesveDome control via INDI etc.

• Thank you received: 0
I am VERY interested in this software suite to run my Observatory. Is there a way to control my DIY Dome ?
I use the LesveDome Ascom driver at the moment. It slaves to my LX200 Classic via Ascom. It would be fantastic if I could switch to INDI and free myself from "Windows" forever. Show less
4 years 1 month ago #49651

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yeah it can be done... how is LesveDome controlled exactly? once you have the command set, at least a driver can be developed.
4 years 1 month ago #49663

Thank you for your reply.
The dome is controlled through the Ascom driver written for the DPP Observatory (LesveDome). The driver essentially gets pointing info from Ascom.(in my case POTH as Ihave an Old LX200 that needs to connect thru POTh). Once the scope is connected to POTH , the Dome is then connected to POTH and slaved to the LX200 position. (If INDI can run the Dome I would be a very happy chap.) I guess there needs to be a native INDI Driver available for this to happen? Unfortunately I do not have the necessary coding skills to develop a driver for the LesveDome System. ( i wish i had the ability to do this )

Bruce
4 years 1 month ago #49691

• Thank you received: 138
The Lesve dome uses a Velleman K8055 USB controller board to manage the dome using a selection of relays for outputs and digital inputs to monitor the dome rotation using a gray code encoder. It polls the encoder inputs so needs to do so fast enough that transitions are not missed. There's quite a lot on the web about how the hardware needs to be set up.

The dome controller software is shareware and AFAIK is not published. There appears to be a Linux driver for the K8055 board that is open.

I don't think this is the sort of thing that can be coded without physical access to the hardware. It might be easier to start again using an arduino. Perhaps a solution already exists going that way.
4 years 1 month ago #49693

i am now looking at educating myself in c++
4 years 1 month ago #49863

• Thank you received: 1
What is it that you specifically need? The source code for the ASCOM driver?
I've met the author a few times so could ask.
Maybe he doesn't want to release the source but it doesn't hurt to try.
4 years 3 weeks ago #50388

Hi Miker,
I am not skilled in writing drivers etc. ( i wish i was!) . I have a home built Dome that I control with Lesvedome . Works great on Ascom. I would like to switch to Linux and see the INDI Library as the way to go. the only issue i have is Ekos does not support The Lesvedome DPP Veleman system. for me it would be great if id did, asi could run all my equipment from the one suite of software (INDI Kstars/Ekos). I am impressed with the INDI stuff. my mate has "converted" to INDI and we are both in awe about the relative ease in getting our equipment configured.
If I could only run my Dome from INDI ........?

Any Help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Bruceaust
4 years 3 weeks ago #50438

Would the Nexdome software be a viable solution? (open sourced) This would require me to change over to an Arduino rather than the Velleman board. But it could be my only option , at present, to try INDI for my Dome etc... But if the Lesvedome can be used it would be a much better option for me an others like me who (are very happy with and) have successfully implemented Lesvedome . The goal of everyone in our hobby is to have all your equipment reliably working together and have clear skies at the same time!!!
Bruce
4 years 3 weeks ago #50467

• Thank you received: 1
Maybe start by trying www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/ which is (as far as I've understood, haven't tried it yet) a way to wrap ascom drivers as indi.
Won't let you get rid of windows but would allow you to go all-INDI. Correct me if ascom server doesn't work the way I think :)
4 years 3 weeks ago #50474

Time to create page: 0.672 seconds