INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fedora repo for bleeding edge INDI & KStars

• Thank you received: 41
Hi astronomers :)

My bleeding edge repository for Fedora 20 and 21 is ready :) build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:lup...indi:fedora-bleeding

The repository includes:
* INDI library svn snapshot
* 3rdparty drivers svn snapshot
* aagcloudwatcher
* apogee
* asicam
* atik (repackaged version from Peters homepage, so not svn)
* dsi
* eqmod
* ffmv
* fishcamp
* fli
* gphoto
* maxdomeii
* qhy
* qsi
* sbig
* spectracyber
* sx
* tess
* astrometry.net (you have to grab the index fies manually as they are very big)
* ds9
* kstars git snaphot (KF5 based, Fedora 21 only due to dependencies)
* gsc to get shiny images from CCD Simulator

Installation: Grab the package build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:lup...indi:fedora-bleeding (Choose "Grab binary packages directly") and install it using yum/dnf. This package contains the repository definition for yum/dnf. After that you can install the packages using yum. All INDI packages from SVN use the suffix -bleeding to show, that they're bleeding edge packages.

Example for KStars and the QHY driver (first time installation of lupinix-indi-bleeding @ line 1):
dnf install http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/lupinix-indi:/fedora-bleeding/Fedora_21/noarch/lupinix-indi-bleeding-1.0-7.1.noarch.rpm
dnf install kstars-bleeding indi-qhy-bleeding

I only tested KStars, astrometry.net and drivers for asicam, atik, qhy and sbig as this is all we have here. So if there are issues: Please report them here!

Greetings,
Christian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Christian.
9 years 1 week ago #3583

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10
Thanks for that Christian, I`ve been wanting to try other distro`s with Kstars- bleeding. Had one or two problems with Ubuntu/Kubuntu! Not really familiar with Fedora, I think Is it a branch from RedHat?.
cheers
Steve
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Steve.
9 years 1 week ago #3585

Fedora is a successor of the former Red Hat Linux, yes. I'm also testing packaging on openSUSE (there are many differences to Fedora in detail), but Fedora was much easier for me as an official Fedora packager ;)
9 years 1 week ago #3586

• Thank you received: 0
I'll try and see what happens on OpenSuse with this Fedora repo in a day or two. Going on my last attempt the initial problems were a couple of older library files that Suse skipped for some reason. These shouldn't clash with Suse's more recent versions as they seem to be able to co exist on the same machine. The same problem seems to apply to both OpenSuse 12.3 and 13.2 as I looked for the missing files in both versions. I'f I can get INIDI in I'll be curious to see if it will be ok with KDE's original Kstars - I didn't have any problems installing that. In the past I have had problems with GPHOTO too. I ddn't get far enough to find out if that will be ok.

I thought of using Alien to install the Ubuntu packages but that really could produce a disaster.

Hope you do get OpenSuse up and running as well.

:) I've thought about trying Fedora but guess I would miss OpenSuse style installs and also YAST and zypper, the build service and several other things as well. OpenSuse seems to be a bit too much for some Ubuntu users going on complaints on the OpenSuse forum from people who have tried it. They seem to run into difficulties but I have no idea how.

As an aside I thought that Fedora was a test bed for RedHat Enterprise just as OpenSuse is a test bed for what now seems to be called Factory. The distor's like us to run bleeding edge as soon as possible but this doesn't suit some people - rather a lot of them actually away from the INDI site.

John
-
9 years 1 week ago #3595

I really discourage you from installing the Fedora packages on a production openSUSE. Packages itself could work or not (depends on library versions @openSUSE), but as packages are named different (which also means different dependencies) it is possible to break your package management...
9 years 1 week ago #3609

Hi Christian
Trying to download the repo I`m getting this message

[liveuser@localhost ~]$ su
[root@localhost liveuser]# dnf install download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:...edora_21/noarch/lupi
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates' from 'mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=...ased-f21&arch=x86_64': Cannot download repomd.xml: Curl error: Failure when receiving data from the peer for ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/dl.fed.../repodata/repomd.xml

and it won`t let me install the Indi stuff, anything else I can try please?
Thanks
Steve
9 years 1 week ago #3612

Error message says: You have a problem with access to official Fedora repositories. Has nothing to do with my repo. So just retry.
9 years 1 week ago #3613

Doh!! I only copied half the line ;-)
9 years 1 week ago #3614

Still problems accessing Fedora repos?? will try later.
cheers
Steve
9 years 1 week ago #3615

Sorry Christian should I be expecting a .rpm file at that address as I keep getting error messages. There is a libindi1.0.0.svn2138 build?. Apologies not used to Fedora/Yum/Dnf etc...;-)
Steve
9 years 1 week ago #3624

dnf install http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/lupinix-indi:/fedora-bleeding/Fedora_21/noarch/lupinix-indi-bleeding-1.0-8.1.noarch.rpm
Should work @Fedora, tested just now. In general you can grab the rpms manually here: download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:...-bleeding/Fedora_21/

Packaged svn revision (all INDI packages except Atik) is 2138 for now. To get the packaged revision just look at changelog in spec file: build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/hom...eeding.spec?expand=1 Normally the revision would be part of the packages Release tag, but OBS replaces it with the revision in OBS repo :(
9 years 1 week ago #3625

I don`t seem to be having much luck running Kstars-bleeding on Fedora. I seemed to install all the relevant repo stuff, installed Kstars-bleedin,eqmod,Atik,SX modules etc but clicking on the Kstars icon on the desktop, nothing happens. I then try in a console and also reinstalling it and get this-

[root@localhost steve]# dnf install kstars-bleeding
Fedora 21 - x86_64 - Updates 3.3 MB/s | 16 MB 00:04
Package kstars-bleeding-2.3.0-8.3.x86_64 is already installed, skipping.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
[root@localhost steve]# kstars
kstars: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libKF5ItemViews.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZNK19QAbstractProxyModel15canDropMimeDataEPK9QMimeDataN2Qt10DropActionEiiRK11QModelIndex
[root@localhost steve]# kstars-bleeding
bash: kstars-bleeding: command not found...

any other command I can try please?
thanks
Steve
9 years 1 week ago #3649

Time to create page: 1.328 seconds