Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2

1 week 1 day ago
phomer60
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51194
I would like some suggestions on the best way to build a model using plate solving.

I always coldstart because my mount is not in a fixed observatory.

My understanding is that the first alignment behaves like a synchronisation on the mount and subsequent alignments contribute to building a model.

When I do this to go to an object there are often 4 or more alignment points added that are very close to each other as the mount homes in on the object.

I may be wrong but I believe this can introduce issues for the mount model which may on occasion cause it to go off somewhere completely random.

My thought is that it may be useful to have an option to only update the alignment model for the first alignment point after a go to and to ignore any of the fine alignment movements.

Does anyone have an suggestions or information on this?

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 1 day ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51195
Paul,

I am in a similar situation as you. My setup isn't fixed. I set it up every night I go imaging and I take it inside once the imaging session is done. The only difference is that I use SkyWatcher mounts (most often an HEQ5 mount and occasionally an EQ6-R mount).

I never worry about the mount model. Plate solving is all I need. I always start with a polar alignment, which uses plate solving as well and each solution contributes to the mount model. Once done I either make the mount slew to an object by right clicking it in KStars and select <My Mount> -> Goto or a program a sequence of jobs in the sequence tab. Occasionally the mount has problems pointing at the object within the specified 30 arcsec but this happens very rarely. If and when it happens, I click the Clear Model button in the Mount tab and clear the pointing solutions on the Align tab by clicking the red button at the bottom of the tab. With the sequencer I typically enable the "Reset Mount Model Before Starting Each Job" option in the Ekos settings in the KStars configuration options. So far, my mount has never missed a target.

I hope this answers your questions.

Clear skies, Wouter

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

1 week 1 day ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51199
Just to clarify, all Ekos does is SYNC. What the mount does with this information is up to the mount internal logic. The only exception for this is EQMod and any mount drivers that utilize INDI Alignment Subsystem . When this system is used, then it actually builds and stores the mount model in INDI.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

5 days 19 hours ago
phomer60
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51343
Wouter,
I have automated my set up so I am often not in a position to manually do anything, usually I am asleep :)
I have not used the option to reset the mount model before starting each job, partly because of uncertainty about what it does.
I guess my major issue is not being clear on what the mount model is doing. Is is building a model in the mount (if this is supported) or just within Ekos?
Paul

5 days 18 hours ago
phomer60
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51344
Jasem,
With the Gemini 2 there are two possible actions, a Synchronisation which aligns the mount with the sky and an Alignment to build a model in the mount.
If INDI is only sending a SYNC then it will not be building any model in the mount but keep telling the mount where it is pointed.
When you say it is up to mount internal logic, as there a two different commands that the mount can obey is there any control over what the mount receives?
Does it do the same thing if I build a model?
When the Gemini 2 has a model it can be very accurate with Go To's so what is the preferred method to update the mount model?
Paul

5 days 15 hours ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Building a model for the Losmandy Gemini 2 #51347
So Ekos does not know about that. Maybe some sort of switch can be toggled in the INDI driver that makes it interpret the SYNC as an alignment point? Once done, you can toggle this switch off again and it would use SYNCs as normal after the model is built. That would be one way to do it.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds