INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Off-Centered - While Dithering

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Off-Centered After Flip

Maybe the developers should considering enabling logging of everything pr. default, such that logs can always be provided?
3 years 11 months ago #51479

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic Off-Centered After Flip

I hear your frustration. And I don't blame you. But you might also think of the frustration of throwing out 14 images from 23. So I was a tad frustrated too.

But hey, this is a work in progress. I get it.
Also, knowing ahead of time (to turn on logs) when I don't expect failure is kinda tough too. But you know I will in the future! ;)
3 years 11 months ago #51482

I saw this on the other thread... I'll try to remember to check that off. I hear rumors... just rumors, that those sparkly things might be out tonight!
3 years 11 months ago #51483

For those like me... ;) Who couldn't find it right-away.
Open Ekos / CCD Tab / Options Button / Ekos / Capture Tab / Reset Mount Model After Meridian Flip

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by David Tate.
3 years 11 months ago #51495
Attachments:

I'm getting the feeling that what might be happening is... the random dithering that occurs, might be getting stuck in a downward trend?
3 years 11 months ago #51825
Attachments:

stellarmat...-30b.mp4

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Off-Centered After Flip

Cone error will manifest as a misalignment after a meridian flip. So you should always do a realignment, ideally with plate solving.
3 years 11 months ago #51855

After a flip, it does re-align itself, but I don't think the issue is occurring after the flip for me... it might just be the random dithering is getting stuck in one direction.
3 years 11 months ago #51885

I changed my dither to 1 pixel, but it did it again last night. Had to throw away about a dozen 4 minute images.

Unfortunately I had to get my rig in quickly at 3am as rain was minutes away. I woke up and gave my images a look-see on my phone and saw the Cigar Galaxy going lower and lower in the images.
I wish I had done the view in the FITS Viewer recent images tab, because you can see the target dithering and following one direction. You can see it in my previous post with the attached MP4 ( #51825 )

I wish I could change the title of this thread... it's not after the flip that is the issue. It a while after the flip.
3 years 11 months ago #52030

Thank you for the investigation David. The simple dither algorithm is implemented here

Perhaps there is a reason it's going in one direction, but the base math checks out unless I'm not accounting for vector math perhaps or even something more fundamental .. if you spot an issue, let me know!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
3 years 11 months ago #52097

Sorry it's taken so long, but I've been spoiled in the past by being able to walk through code watching the variable values.

Wondering why Random is used vs. a fixed direction? default_random_engine generator(seed); Can I see what value it might return?

Why not just do a Right/Down/Left/Up... in order? Or even Right/Right/Left/Left. Eliminating the possibility of a Down/Down/Down/Down.
3 years 10 months ago #52234

Another bunch of photos lost to what looks like dithering in one direction. (only guessing on that)
Here is my log from last night.

File Attachment:

File Name: log.zip
File Size:688 KB
3 years 10 months ago #52340
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 159

Replied by Alfred on topic Off-Centered After Flip

We've had dithering always going in one direction a year ago but it was resumed and worked nicely ever since. indilib.org/forum/ekos/3466-lost-star-wh....html?start=12#26775
Is this a regression now or something new? My last observing session was 03/25 and dithering performed well.
3 years 10 months ago #52346

Time to create page: 0.639 seconds