INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CCD Autostart Cooling

• Thank you received: 3
No this is not stored.

I think I remember there was a Point in Kstars to select automatic start of cooling. Just as autostart tracking
But I can´t find it. Too bad
3 years 11 months ago #51637

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
So, I have an ASI1600MM-C and in the Main Control tab there is a temperature setting:

I once set that to -10 and then clicked Save in the Options tab. Ever since, when I connect the camera and start Ekos the cooling will automatically start and the camera will cool to -10º. Maybe it works differently for your camera and in that case I wouldn't know, sorry.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #51639
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by Brian on topic CCD Autostart Cooling

Setting a temperature in the driver does not work on my ASI294MC Pro either, it is not saved. Wouter, are you using a nightly version? I'm using Kstars stable Feb 23 2020.
3 years 11 months ago #51670

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic CCD Autostart Cooling

AFAIK, this is not supported by INDI. It was discussed before and it was decided it would be a good idea to automatically do that. Maybe it should be supported at the client level, but Ekos does not do that now. Some cameras do remember last temperature but they use their own files/method to remember that, INDI is not involved.
3 years 11 months ago #51673

Interesting. I could have sworn that I enabled and saved that. It was a LONG time ago though. And now I have checked the ASI1600 xml file in the .indi directory and it indeed doesn't have any setting there. Then perhaps my camera remembers this itself...
3 years 11 months ago #51676

• Thank you received: 3
Should we create a feature request?
3 years 11 months ago #51681

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic CCD Autostart Cooling

I think indeed this is a camera feature, I have a 1600 as well (the one before the 'pro' version) and whenever it is connected to a computer, and has power to the cooler, it just starts cooling down.

It is a nice feature though, because then it's already cooled down when I start the polar alignment procedure.
3 years 11 months ago #51682

Bart, what I notice is that as soon as the camera has power and gets connected to a computer, the fans start working. But it doesn't start cooling until I start Ekos. That's why I assumed that Ekos was activating the cooling of the camera.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #51684

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic CCD Autostart Cooling

Then I'm mistaken. Indeed the fan starts, I thought also the cooling. :whistle:
3 years 11 months ago #51685

There is an easy way to check this. Connect the ASI1600 to your pc/laptop/SBC/RPi/WhatEver, start Ekos and wait until the camera has cooled down. Then stop Ekos but leave everything connected. Note that the fans don't stop. Start Ekos again after 2 minutes and you should see that the temperature of the camera is high and going down again.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #51686

• Thank you received: 133
  1. It actually does cool, though not controlled. But you can see that the 12V draws some power (0.3-0.4 Amps IIRC), and the temperature goes down. I.e., if I connect it with ambient temperature of +5 degrees, then leave it like that for a while, and then connect the INDI driver, the temperature will be well below zero....
  2. My 1600MM-Pro also starts cooling as soon as I start INDI. It does now, I have to say. It didn't do it a year ago. I cannot say when exactly it started. I had assumed I had clicked 'save' with active cooling at some point. But if that doesn't store those settings - maybe it was after one of the upgrades of the asilib? So it could be the newer SDK driver doing this?
3 years 11 months ago #51846

I don't thin k I ever saw that behavior but I'll admit that I haven't attempted this for a long time now.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 11 months ago #51854

Time to create page: 0.974 seconds