INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Solver for Mac, Windows, and Linux -- Testing/ Experiments needed

• Thank you received: 28
Solved in 0.7s using standalone ASTAP after updating. Failed to solve using ASTAP from SexySolverTester.

I forgot to test with standalone ASTAP on the previous attempt.
3 years 10 months ago #54623

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 92
For the last image I think there is conflicting information about the dimensions. In ASTAP viewer it's indicated 0.72 x0.72 degrees. However the SExysolver command specifies -fov 0.238979 There must be a keyword value in the header wrong.

I have renewed my index files using the ANSVR downloader. Didn't help. Same errors like:

C:\CraftRoot\build\_\53d1cff2\sexysolver\astrometry\util\starkd.c:266:my_open: Failed to read kdtree from file "C:/Users/h/AppData/Local/cygwin_ansvr/usr/share/astrometry/data/index-4218.fits"

I will stop for today. Tomorrow an other day. :)
3 years 10 months ago #54624

I got this TIFF file from the Nina program support group. This TIFF format can't be read by Sexysolver. It must be a limitation of the TIFF reader. The file is readable by other programs. I will try to find out the origin.

ufile.io/wyjnam0q

File was written by Nina. (the tiff files in nina are written by the .net tiff writer)

nighttime-imaging.eu/
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by han.
3 years 10 months ago #54668

• Thank you received: 17
I am limited in loading multiple index files (one form of parallel processing) by the 1G of RAM I have in my Rpi 4. I see that I could now boot my Rpi4 from my Sandisk 128 G Extreme USB Flashdrive and it should be faster than from the SD card.
I also found where I can set up a 'swap' file memory on a USB 3 flash drive. I can put a small flashdrive (say 16G) in one of the USB 3 ports of the Rpi4 and have this recognized as the 'swap' file by the system. Would this allow me to run 'parallel' index processing or is that strictly limited to internal RAM? I know internal RAM is accessed faster than the USB 3 flashdrive, but I thought maybe by having the 'parallel' processing capability it might make the solves run faster.

Is this doable and does it require any changes on the part of ASTAP or any of the internal astrometry solvers?

thanks, Just messing around during our week of cloudy nights courtesy of Bertha.
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54691

• Thank you received: 809
Yes, it does make it faster if it can load all the index files. You are correct that a swap file would increase the memory available and would allow it to not crash during a solve with all the index files loaded. However, swap files are orders of magnitude slower to read and write to than RAM. I also would not recommend a swap file in the main SD card of a raspberry pi because it will wear out the card much faster. But you did say the swap file would be on an external drive, so that would be fine. BUT, one solution you maybe did not try is ZRAM. I have had great luck in running KStars and other software with ZRAM enabled. It slows down processing a little, but not nearly as much as SWAP files do and it effectively increases the available RAM without sacrificing the longevity of a flash drive..
3 years 10 months ago #54714

3 years 10 months ago #54715

• Thank you received: 809
Note that currently I have set SexySolver to check available memory and automatically turn off the inParallel option if there is not enough memory on the system to load all the desired index files. Currently, I think the command that I am using just gets the installed system memory, not any swap files. But it could be changed in the future. I don't want it crashing due to memory issues.
3 years 10 months ago #54717

• Thank you received: 30
Great job!

Optimized images to analyze when embedding in Ekos (pixel size, file size for quick analysis, etc.)

Please consider it as well.

When solving with Ekos, I am currently setting Jpeg / downsample on the DSLR and binning / downsample on the astronomical camera to increase the image transfer rate. If you have a frame from live view and you have an astronomical camera, shooting in stream mode will be even faster. (I think ASIAirPRO improves processing in this style.)
3 years 10 months ago #54737

• Thank you received: 375
Just to let you know that starting today Raspberry Pi with 8GB is available.
www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-at-75/

ZRAM is good option for create SWAP file. Using SD card for SWAP is slow and can kill your SD card much faster.
3 years 9 months ago #54752

Han,
Is version 0.9.365 still the latest version for the Rpi? that is all I find on your site.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 9 months ago #54808

How much RAM is needed to run the parallel option loading all the index files?

thanks,
Ron
3 years 9 months ago #54809

Yes no later versions are released. An Rpi update will be released in a few days. I want to be sure that the versions released on Sourceforge are bug free. The new version will be more tolerant against elongates stars.

Han
3 years 9 months ago #54813

Time to create page: 1.158 seconds