INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

So how is this any better...?

• Thank you received: 0
I have never meant to offend anyone here or any of the developers I've made that clear in my first post in this thread. I have a beef with Linux/Indi/Ekos as they seem to work rather erratic then organized, and I've heard poems about the reliability and simplicity of Linux in general. Absolutely contradicting with my experience.

For example, take the link you provided: indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/5047-kmtron...e.html?start=0#37912 I have searched and searched before started this thread and came across this one. There are several little problems with that thread.
1. The op makes it clear he has no serious Linux computing background
2. Dispite this fact there is virtually no real help in that thread, as people just say things out of the box like "Gphoto driver" and "dmesg". Let me translate that to English for people who are not software developers or engineers... ??????? That is what those things mean to me and the forum, not just this one, is filled with "information" like this. Again, have nothing against people here, just trying to shed lights on this from a perspective of a regular Joe.
3. Knowing now that update, upgrade and install in linux does not work like in windows (download installer, install etc), I am sure there is a "sudo apt, sudo update, sudo upgrade" command somewhere in that thread. It is just lust in the process of assuming that everyone is versed in programming language.

If you'd be so kind and educate me please what all those mean, how do I check if the FTDI USB created a /dev/ttyUSBX entry under astroberry/Indi/Ekos, and how do I update Gphoto driver and how to check if I even have to, I'd really appreciate it.

And BTW, I have the same issue that the very last post by CedrictheBrave says there. I guess he did not understand the thread as well.
3 years 11 months ago #52984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

And one more thing. I had figures out how to connect and VNC into my Astroberry Pi via internet. I had to have a very good friend of mine helping me out from overseas, yeah from another continent.
And in summary the solution, and organized solution could have been listed to me in four very short line. Something along the lines like this:

Regular Joe, Google the followings:
- How to set static IP to your Pi
- Set up port forwarding
- Use whatismyip.org

I could not find anything like that on anywhere. Solution so simple...
3 years 11 months ago #52985

I also found the thread that described this solution. Unfortunately it did not work for me either. Nikon D5100 didn't even fire the camera preset exposures.
3 years 11 months ago #52986

So I read this thread and I'm still not sure what the exact problem is. You need to use DSUSB with Nikon? If that's the case, then use the INDI GPhoto driver and set the port field to DSUSB like in the screenshot below

That's it.

If you still have issues, then turn on the logs (see my signature) and then attach them to find out what's going on.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 11 months ago #52987

This is what it looks like on my set up

3 years 11 months ago #52988
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 9
Okay lets start here. Do you know how to open a Terminal window on your astroberry? For mine using Ubuntu it is Menu > Accessories > Terminal

Once you are in terminal, this is where you place the commands to execute programs, scripts, and even INDI commands;
ie.
ju@me~: $ <--- typical terminal command line
ju@me~: $ sudo apt-get install indi-gphoto <--- command to install indi-gphoto
password: your password

This may seem like a pain but after awhile it gets easier. Setting IP can be done through a much more complex command line of 'ifconfig'. Search that command on google.
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
3 years 11 months ago #52989

Yes, finding and using terminal is not an issue. This is where the static IP needed to be set to
3 years 11 months ago #52990

In Ekos Equipment Profile, select GPhoto driver and not Nikon. Save your profile and try again. I'd turn turn off Auto Connect in the profile. Check the Logs button in Ekos summer screen and make sure it is set to Verbose File logging and both INDI + Camera checkboxes are ticked.

After you start the profile, set DSUSB in the GPhoto driver, then go to Options --> Save Config.

Then click Connect and let's see how it goes. Locate (in the same Ekos logs window you can open the logs directory) and then attach the log file here.
3 years 11 months ago #52991

www.geeksforgeeks.org/ifconfig-command-in-linux-with-examples/

“ifconfig eth0 172.16.25.125” will set the IP address to interface eth0. To make that an http interface you need to edit /etc/hosts using a text editor

172.16.25.125 server.example.com

Use searches from here on out with Linux command instead of Pi command or Astroberry. They are linux at the core. You will find that you are overloaded with pages then :)
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Jim S.. Reason: more info
3 years 11 months ago #52992

I did all that. This is what happens. The shutter did not fire at al. And when I want to open log directory it says no such file or directory

3 years 11 months ago #52993
Attachments:

Got the log file

File Attachment:

File Name: log_20-10-59.txt
File Size:12 KB
3 years 11 months ago #52994
Attachments:

Error downloading image from camera. You have an SD in the camera?
3 years 11 months ago #52995

Time to create page: 0.868 seconds