INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Save only on sd card

• Thank you received: 0

Save only on sd card was created by Michal

Hi,

I very new to INDI and Ekos, My setup is rpi 4 with Raspbian with kstars working locally on rpi. My camera is Nikon d5300. Is there any way to configure INDI to prevent images download to rpi? I would like to save images only on sd card.

Kind Regards
Michal
3 years 10 months ago #52921

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Save only on sd card

Hello and welcome to INDI forum! Unfortunately, that's not possible.
3 years 10 months ago #52929

Replied by Michal on topic Save only on sd card

Thanks for clarification. I will take this into account while thinking about storage space.
3 years 10 months ago #52931

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Save only on sd card

Hello and welcome. There is better way that I plan to use, buy 128GB USB 3.1 and use it on one of the blue usb rpi port, then when capturing, select saving directory to be on this usb. After you are done, just take your USB stick from rpi and use it on your PC/Mac for processing.

Here is the link for the one I use

www.amazon.com/dp/B07855LJ99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aDvQEbWTAVD9R

Thank you
Mohamed
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 10 months ago #52932

Replied by Michal on topic Save only on sd card

Yes thanks. This is exactly what I had in mind :)
3 years 10 months ago #52933

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Save only on sd card

I tried this but it ended up locking up my RPI on boot. I have an Anker USB 3 hub with all the equipment attached to it. I have written a rules file to make sure all the equipment identifiers are unique. I tired adding a USB stick to the hub and the Rpi recognized it right away, but then you have to mount the drive and give it a convenient name instead of the UUID. I followed instructions on the web to do this and to modify the /etc/fstab file so that on boot it would recognize and identify the USB Stick memory. But instead the RPi booted into an emergency locked state. The only way to boot up the Rpi was to remove the memory stick from the hub and plug it directly into one of the USB ports on the Rpi.

I then removed the added line to the fstab file, but now I am back to having to mount the drive each time. I suspect there may be a timing issue between when the rpi expects to find the memory and when it is actually available on the USB hub. But I am not sure. If anyone has accomplished successfully to use a USB memory stick in their RPi which comes up automatically on boot, I would like to know how you did it.

I can put the memory stick into one of the RPI's ports, but it is not as convenient as putting it in the hub, since I have my Rpi in a safe box with the setup. I don't know if this would solve the problem with the modified fstab file or not. I have yet to try that.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #53658

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Save only on sd card

Maybe I am stupid, but I don’t understand the issue, you say you don’t want the images saved to the rpi....correct, but you want them save on the SD card, yet they are the same thing, as the rpi runs from the SD card....so makes no sense to me....
You have the options to save images to either
SD card in rpi
Or if you run ekos from a separate machine you can save to that,
Or both places
3 years 10 months ago #53659

Replied by Dieter on topic Save only on sd card

Hello krno,
as I have the same question - do you see any possibility to get such feature in one of the next releases?

I want to explain my problem:
- I'm using a RPI4 with astroberry to control my setup via INDI (CEM60, FSQ106, DSLR)
- as I'm storing every picture to the DSLR (SD- or CF-Card) I do not have the need to store it as well on the RPI4
- the download via the USB-Interface of the DSLR is quite boring = takes about 30 sec!!!
- and it additionally needs a lot of battery

Therefore, it would be a nice feature to deactivate the automatic download!
Kind regards,
Dieter
3 years 2 weeks ago #68533

Replied by Phil M on topic Save only on sd card

I am trying to migrate to INDI/EKOS running on Astroberry and also have the same request if this would be considered.

Saving only to the DSLR's memory card would save me over 30 seconds (at least) per sub. In a (rare - UK and, well, clouds) imaging session with a poor mount, the transfers take longer than the length of exposure I can successfully take... so of the available time 70%+ is just waiting for the file to transfer via the USB to the Pi itself. 

I'll take a look at a USB stick for the Pi, but it's the USB interface to the Pi from the camera that is the bottleneck.

In APT (trying to migrate from) I can save the RAW file on the camera and transfer only a reduced JPG for the on-screen preview. 

3 years 1 day ago #69312

Replied by Tim Stevenson on topic Save only on sd card

I am also trying to migrate to Astroberry... I have my Raspberry Pi4 coming on Saturday.  I would also like to have my images save directly to the camera SD card.  I take a lot of images since I'm using an Alt-Az mount; therefore, short exposures.
2 years 10 months ago #71020

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Michael Evans on topic Save only on sd card

I have tried using a 128gb usb stick as suggested above by mhammady. I have mounted the usb stick and created a directory. In the capture module I can see the directory which I choose for downloading the frames. However, the download of the first frame either does not happen or is very long. I aborted after 60 secs. Anyone got any ideas? The file format is fat32. Could this be the problem?
2 years 10 months ago #71358

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Save only on sd card

Hi Snowman,

What do you mean by "download of the first frame either does not happen or is very long"?
2 years 10 months ago #71483

Time to create page: 1.763 seconds