INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI_asi_ccd driver crashes after stable release update?

• Thank you received: 117
Anyone else having problems with ASI driver crashes tonight in SM OS? I just updated (stable) using the command sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
on StellarMate OS and now my indi_asi_ccd driver is crashing instantly on start. Relevant log bits below. Any clues on how to get happy again?

[2020-05-08T02:07:22.521 GMT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars] - Welcome to KStars 3.4.3
[2020-05-08T02:07:22.521 GMT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars] - Build: 2020-05-04T11:08:22Z
[2020-05-08T02:07:22.522 GMT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars] - OS: "raspbian"
[2020-05-08T02:16:44.029 GMT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "INDI services started on port 7624."
[2020-05-08T02:16:44.177 GMT CRIT ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI driver "indi_asi_ccd" crashed!

After this, I tried to go to the nightly build, but the command wasn't recognized on SM OS. I googled for this and saw that when this happens, a package install is required:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

After this, I tried the stable and nightly baselines again. Neither of the commands work:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 95, in <module>
sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
self.reload_sourceslist()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 93, in get_sources
(self.id, self.codename))
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/buster

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ppa-purge

Given I can't get either of the first commands to work, I didn't try to execute the follow-on commands. I think I'm still on STABLE.
So, without the package updater app working, and neither of the command line functions working, I'm out of ideas. WTH?
Next, to try and see if I can manually force the indi_asi_ccd driver update. Good thing it's a full moon.....

Note that if I try to run indiserver from /usr/bin with the indi_asi_ccd driver, I get the following:
indi_server ./indi_asi_ccd (from /usr/bin):
indiserver indi_asi_ccd
2020-05-08T07:46:02: startup: indiserver indi_asi_ccd
2020-05-08T07:46:02: Driver indi_asi_ccd: indi_asi_ccd: symbol lookup error: indi_asi_ccd: undefined symbol: _ZN4INDI7CCDChip8setFrameEiiii
This pattern repeats until the 10x tries limit is up....

Thanks, Doug
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Doug S. Reason: clarification on SM OS and instant crash of driver
3 years 10 months ago #53386

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
I have the same issue, but with both the indi_asi_ccd and indi_qhy_ccd drivers. I traced it to /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libindidriver.so.1.8.6. If I relink the /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libindidriver.so.1 to the .5 version - all works.

Anyone fix this yet ???
3 years 9 months ago #56003

• Thank you received: 0
Hello, i have the same problem, can you explaine me who can i do to relink the .so from another versio of the asi lib ?

Thanks .
3 years 9 months ago #56029

I was lucky to have an extra raspberry pi that I had not been updated yet and that I knew worked. So I found the /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libindidriver.so.1.8.5 (.5 version) from there and copied it over to my defunct updated pi.

I'm not sure where you could find the .5 version - perhaps someone could help answer that??

But here is what I did: I copied (scp) the libindidriver.so.1.8.5 file to my defunct update raspberry pi and placed it in /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/ directory, then:
cd /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/
rm libindidriver.so.1 # this was a link to the .6 lib
ln -s libindidriver.so.1.8.5 libindidriver.so.1 # now links it to the .5 lib

And started this up and voila, qhy and zwo were now working.

But the real issue here, is can someone please fix this in the release code?? This is sort of a show stopper ... !!
3 years 9 months ago #56035

Thank you for the report, I will update all stable packages today.
3 years 9 months ago #56049

I did an apt purge, then a reinstall - it still does not work, now I'm getting the error (for both indi_asi_ccd and indi_qhy_ccd):
symbol lookup error: indi_asi_ccd:
undefined symbol: _ZN4INDI3CCD9ISNewBLOBEPKcS2_PiS3_PPcS5_S5_i
(this is a different undefined symbol)
Once again, relinking libindidriver.so.1 to libindidriver.so.1.8.5 works.

Was this fix put in the release or do I need to download the new one separately?
3 years 9 months ago #56173

Did you try to install INDI manually from source? There is most likely another INDI installation that this is getting linked to. Check /usr/local
3 years 9 months ago #56174

No other INDI source. I had removed and purged everything.

I do have another Raspberry Pi that I can load a fresh Ubuntu onto and install a fresh/virgin KSTARS/EKOS/INDI on - I'll do that right now and let you know what happens.
3 years 9 months ago #56178

I created a fresh Ubuntu V20.04 sim and placed it in a 4G RPI4 then:
apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
apt update
apt -y install indi-full kstars-bleeding
Noticed that in /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/, libindidriver .so.1 is linked to the .5 version:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 25 20:03 libindidriver.so.1 -> libindidriver.so.1.8.5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1189152 Apr 25 20:03 libindidriver.so.1.8.5

kstars --version says 3.4.2

Which works.

Is this right - was the fix to go back to .5 version?
3 years 8 months ago #56252

That's the stable version, but I don't have any issues with 1.8.6 either on any platform.
3 years 8 months ago #56318

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds