INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Best practice sequence

• Thank you received: 25
Hi all

I've started using indi over pi4 and I keep learning. One of the things that face me is what is the proper sequence I shall use before jumping into the camera tab?

I have a guide with a guide camera, main capture camera, autofocus, and of course the mount.

I know before I start taking any sequences, the mount should be properly aligned, both cameras are focused and guide scope is actively guiding the mount and sequence plan added to be captured, but is there is any best practice for which one I should start with and then followed by others?

Thank you
Mohamed
3 years 10 months ago #53460

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
Hi Mohamed,

I'm not sure there is a "best" sequence, but here is what I do. I have a R-Pi4 with Stellarmate and access that over VNC from a desktop or laptop. First, I start the cooling of the camera in the capture tab. Second, I make sure PHD2 is connected for guiding. Third, I slew to some place it is easy to focus - like a bright open cluster (Beehive). There I check focus manually, and if it is way off, I solve this, and manually approach focus. Then run autofocus. After that, I'm good to go.

Today, I almost always use the scheduler. This means that while focuser works, I load, check, manipulate and rearrange the jobs I want to run. Normally, I am done (I've prepared this beforehand, mostly) when the focuser is ready. Just hit run.

Then I check for errors. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.... :)

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohamed
3 years 10 months ago #53466

Replied by Mohamed on topic Best practice sequence

Thank you, Magnus, for your response. I assume you have a fixed rig as you didn't mention alignment or plate solving.

I have a portable tripod that I take to my back yard every time I'm ready to have a session, so I have 2 questions for you...

1. If you have a mobile rig as I do, what would be your preferred new sequence?

2. For focus best practice, you select a bright cluster. I tried autofocus with vega and didn't work, so my assumption is to autofocus with tiny ones... Am I correct?

Thank you
Mohamed
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 10 months ago #53471

Hi!

Ah, OK. Yes, semi-fixed. I adjust the polar aligment once a week but not more often. If you have a mobile rig, polar alignment goes into sequnce at step 3: cooling camera, conneting PHD2, drift align (or whatever method you use).

I don't bother doing alignment separately. First job starts with a plate solve and mount is synced, no model built. I have a Losmandy G11, and never build any models anymore. Every job includes typically focus, alignment (plate solving) starting guiding, capture.

If I do manually, I do the same steps in the same order manually.

Magnus
3 years 10 months ago #53474

Concerning focus, have a look at this thread:

www.indilib.org/forum/general/6167-for-t...-issues.html?start=0

I would not focus on such a bright star, unless it was with a narrow band filter. I prefer bright but not that bright stars, and I do full frame, so a number of fairly but not too bright stars is perfect.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 10 months ago #53475

• Thank you received: 28

Replied by Richard Beck on topic Best practice sequence

Mohamed,

I still work through things a step at a time. If you have a cooled camera, start it cooling as soon as you start. Magnus says he uses the capture tab. The connect tab for the camera is another place where the temperature can be set. (After needing to not auto connect for a debugging issue years ago, I manually connect each device in turn. When the cooled camera connects, I set the temperature.)

I found that, for me, polar alignment with the imaging camera and scope worked best. (I now have a pier and tend not to fiddle with polar alignment any more.) PHD2 doesn't need to be started before you slew to a target location, but starting at any time before is OK, just make sure you aren't tracking when you slew (I did that once).

I tend to work in the alignment, focus and capture tabs. After a slew, I always do a slew to target in the alignment tab. If I am returning to a location where I have imaged before, I'll use one of the subs for "load and slew".

Here is another reference for focusing.

I still haven't moved to using the scheduler tab.

We each need to sort out our individual process for repeatability.

Richard
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Richard Beck.
3 years 10 months ago #53484

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:Best practice sequence

Thank you Richard. I have a question regarding the tracking timing. When I connect for the 1st time, my scope tracking is automatically on. I tried without success internal and PHD2 for guiding, but I think it is my camera (which I’m replacing).

So shall I turn tracking off before adjust guiding? Also, at what step you do plate solving? And so you turn on tracking or leave this for the guider?

I’m sorry my questions looks very basic even for me, but I’m confused what to do and clear nights are not that many where I live to give it try and error...

Thank you
Mohamed
3 years 10 months ago #53488

Mohamed,

You should track sidereal whenever your mount isn't parked. Guiding occurs on top of sidereal tracking and applies adjustments required because of tracking errors which come primarily from mechanical issues and polar alignment.

To use guiding, ensure your guide camera is in good focus. I had many a struggle related to poor guide focus. Of course, the camera has to work. You can rough focus and test your camera during the day. If you are focused or near focus during the day, the camera will generally need to move towards the scope.

To help us give you support, please advise what equipment you are using. You can put that information in a reply, but it can also be useful to include it in your signature (see mine below).

Richard
3 years 10 months ago #53493

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:Best practice sequence

Thank you Richard,

I have Celestron Nexstar 8SE with a sky sync GPS, Canon T3i as the main camera, JMI moto-focus, Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser as a guide scope, ZWO ASI120MM Mini Monochrome CMOS as a guide camera (ordered to replace bad quality eyepiece camera), and of course the Ekos running on RPi4 as astroberry.

Thank you
Mohamed
3 years 10 months ago #53494

Mohamed,

I hate to tell you this, but an Alt-Az mount will lead to significant field rotation if you use it for astrophotography. It might work if you have an equatorial wedge.

I initially tried to use a Celestron Nexstar 90SLT (also Alt-Az) and the field rotation made stacking exposures impossible for me.

For guiding, two warnings: the separate guide scope and long focal length will give you guiding issues (flexure) and Alt-Az mounts will be different than equatorial mounts. I found a recent article on cloudy nights which you might find helpful ( www.cloudynights.com/topic/697479-guidin...az-mounts-with-phd2/ )
3 years 10 months ago #53497

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic Re:Best practice sequence

Mohamed,
I have a friend that does astrophotography with an Alt-Az mounted telescope and he achieves quite a bit but all done with lots of 30 second shots.
He does not guide, and throws out and failed shots, and I think you may need to do the same.
In the long term equatorially mounted is far better.
Paul
3 years 10 months ago #53512

Replied by Mohamed on topic Best practice sequence

Hi Richard

I’m totally aware about field rotation for alt/azimuth mount. I just decided to slow down on purchase one till I’m able to make other components work.

What I don't understand and appreciate if you can explain is why it will be difficult to use the guide scope?

I'm aware about the f/10 of the 8SE where I can use field reducer to fix it.

Thank you
Mohamed
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 10 months ago #53513

Time to create page: 1.160 seconds