INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon EOS 550D hangs up during imaging run - SOLVED

• Thank you received: 49
A couple of nights ago, my camera started playing up. After successfully recording five exposures of 300 seconds, at the end of the next imaging period of 300 seconds, the captured image was not downloaded to the RPi4 with the Indi driver indicating that there was an 'unknown error', and the camera display showing the number of remaining exposures on the SD card continuing to flash. When eventually, after various steps of attempting to get it to carry on working, I went to turn off the power the screen showed an animated rotating image saying Recording...Remaining Images :1. Since then I have tried various cures including changing power supply from mains adapter to battery and back, updating the camera firmware to the latest version, and changing SD cards, even though the images are not normally saved to the SD card.

Has anyone encountered this before, and any good ideas for solving the issue?

One final 'cure' remains for me to test, to attempt to drain down the internal power source which maintains the date and time and camera optional settings. I have removed the main battery, but I haven't a clue how long I will need to leave it to drain down, or if this may be any help at all! By the way, the camera seems to function quite normally when used in standard camera modes (P, AV, T, Auto etc) with shortish exposure times up to half a minute.

I am using the Astroberry Server 2.0 on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, and have carried out a sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade, but otherwise not looked deeper at which Indi driver I am presently using.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Avocette.
3 years 10 months ago #54302
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 49

Not sure why this problem suddenly occurred after six months and more than a thousand image captures (mostly Darks and test exposures!), however it seems to have been cured by going deep into the ‘custom’ settings menu on the camera and disabling all of the features that are not needed when imaging, especially long exposure noise reduction.
3 years 10 months ago #54371

• Thank you received: 226
This can happen when the camera is trying to send images over USB that are not expected by the system for various reasons. Only solution is to remove the battery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
3 years 10 months ago #54425

• Thank you received: 160
Removing the USB cable from the camera (after camera switch off) and re-connecting the cable does the job, too. We've been discussing this issue years ago

indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/3297-indi-g....html?start=12#25175
indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/5098-canon-...-resolved.html#38709

but it keeps popping up occasionally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
3 years 10 months ago #54466

• Thank you received: 226
Yes, that does work too. Forgot to mention it.
3 years 10 months ago #54495

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds