INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

8gb RPI4 released

• Thank you received: 74
Should also mean 64bit Raspbian is released !
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Clive Stachon.
3 years 10 months ago #54749

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic 8gb RPI4 released

Ordered one, just can't stop myself...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
3 years 10 months ago #54754

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic 8gb RPI4 released

64bit Raspbian beta released too!

Note hardware layout changes - "which doesn't effect anything" - Famous last words - perhaps the USB3/Wifi etc is finally sorted on these boards. Just have to see what the new ones are if any. £24 extra for 4gb isn't that bad !

Cant say I am expecting much improvement until software catches up!
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 10 months ago #54756

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic 8gb RPI4 released

Just a note, while we've seen an extended number of people having issues with the Pi4, and particularly the 4GB version, there are many of us who have been using the Pi4-4GB without any issue at all, with a full complement of 5-6 USB3 devices, with a powered hub, with Wifi, and have never experienced the issues that have often been reported by others.

You might put it down to QA, and problems with individual units, or it might be that the specific mixture of devices connecting to the Pi causes the issue.

The hardware layout changes look to have beefed up power, and the extra draw of 8GB over 4GB is discussed to be very small, would be interesting to see future reports.

Mine is in the Post, but I doubt I will get any observing done until late-July to mid-August at my latitude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
3 years 10 months ago #54758

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic 8gb RPI4 released

Totally agree!

I have been using 4 different 4 GB SBCs over the last couple of years with Ubuntu as the OS running on all of them and every single one has some quirks, but never the same ones. This may be related to the different implementation of Ubuntu on the different platforms.

The most consistent ones for use with Indi and KStars have been a Zotac pico332 miniPC and the RPi4. The latter is running Ubuntu 20.04 now without a hitch for weeks.

I am particularly baffled by the reports of poor WiFi on the RPi4. I have no problems with that whatsoever and excellent transfer speeds with lag-free 5 GHz VNC over 50 ft from my WiFi extender (!) in the backyard.

I don't expect the 8 GB Pi4 to make much difference, as the RAM on the Pi4 has really only been limiting for me when I was trying to compile from source with too many threads (that was fixed by adding a swap partition on an external SSD), but never during actual astroimaging (after the memory leak was fixed).

One thing that may make a difference is good cooling. If the cooler on the Pi4 is anemic, it will end up overheating, resulting in throttling and poor performance. Since I put an Ice Tower on the CPU in the Pi4, CPU temperature has not risen above 38 C, even with 10 min stress tests maxing out all CPUs. I don't have the data to prove it, but that might be one major reason for the different experiences users have with their Pi4s.

Bottomline: IMO the 4GB Pi4 is perfectly sufficient for most KStars user purposes, with the current KStars memory requirements.

Nonetheless, I am itching to try out the 8GB version for other more memory intensive purposes, though, like possibly live stacking with Astro Live Stacker (also discussed here in the forum). And since the board apparently can address up to 16 GB of memory, we may yet see another upgrade in a year or so.

There will always be more toys! What else is there to live for, folks!?

:)
3 years 9 months ago #54801

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds