INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Question about Ekos/PHD2 and guidescope/tracker

• Thank you received: 226
There is a procedure for correcting the polar scope misalignment.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 10 months ago #55011
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
The polar scope alignment procedure is actually quite easy and fast and can be done during the day. No need to do that at night.

But I cannot overstress the importance of the warning in the manual: Do NOT overtighten the screws!!!!

I made that mistake on my iOptron SmartEQ mount and cracked the reticle holder. Happens very easily. There was little resistance on the screws and yet ...
3 years 10 months ago #55012

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks again. Yes, in the Skyguider Pro manual it's referred to as the alt-az mount, so that's what I've always called these things. :) I didn't realize the iEXOS 100 is defaulted to communicate through Wi-Fi, it will work with it's own native ExploreStars app like that, but I'm not sure if I can use it with Ekos/PHD2 that way or not. It would certainly be great if so, no wires! I'll have to look into that. I'm also not sure at this time if ExploreStars can polar align, if so then I suppose I can just use the ExploreStars app wirelessly for alignment and tracking with the iExOS 100 and use the Astroberry rig I've put together for the Skyguider Pro. If ExploreStars can't polar align, then that will be a problem, as the iEXOS 100 has no polar scope. It's suppose to have a little straight-through opening you can do a rough alignment with, but I've removed the little site cover and rotated that mount 360°, and I don't ever see it open up to be able to look through it.

Rebuilding that Skyguider Polar scope looks a bit involved, I may or may not have the skills to fix that on my own. :) If I can polar align with Ekos/PHD2 then I'll just use it as-is for rough alignment and just use the software to hone in. Unguided and using the existing scope I've been able to align well enough to get 25 seconds with the AT60ED on an Olympus E-M10 Mk II m4/3 body using the native alt-az. mount. The combination of the William Optics mount and software alignment should improve those times, even unguided. Well, at least hopefully. :)

Thanks for everyone's replies.
3 years 10 months ago #55014

• Thank you received: 182
The polar scope adjustment procedure is straightforward and not involved. Just be careful with tightening those screws.
3 years 10 months ago #55016

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds