INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQ8-R and EQ8-RH user experiences, bugs and quirks

• Thank you received: 140
To simplify it even more, the EQ8 you have works exactly the same as the EQ6 models, but with more powerful motors, no encoders just stepper motors and some electronics to count steps, as 1 step = a certain distance moved....simples....but as soon as you power off the mount, it looses that step info and zeros, so you have to start at a home position so it knows it’s a zero to start....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 9 months ago #55425

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
Apologies - didn't mean to get your back up, you are of course correct.

My error was sarcasm in conflating encoders and steppers as being "something that counts" - per this article I'm not the only one but it doesn't excuse my using sarcasm - apologies (www.cloudynights.com/topic/689998-mounts...-encoders/?p=9903482) eg: my old LX90 has encoders, but they're not absolute, they use two tiny little wheels with slots cut in them and an IR LED I believe to count steps. They were awful btw! :-)

And to avoid doubt, I did not for a minute believe that this mount came with a Renishaw or any way of keeping track of the position when de-clutched (nor do I ahem any real need of said functionality)

I'll see if Autohome works on teh -RH model, it doesn't on the R which is obviously a disappointment.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Paul Muller.
3 years 9 months ago #55426

It DOES work on your model, it has the sensors fitted and does work, I can assure you...if there is an issue it’s with the software and not because the mount does not have the hardwear, your mount is fitted with autohome sensors....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 9 months ago #55427

You have given me hope!

I'm imaging right now, I'll take a screenshot of the error when I park it tonight, it reports something to the extent of "can't detect aux encoders, can't autohome"

It certainly autonomies the the hand controller.
3 years 9 months ago #55428

Again sorry, I might not have been clear - it absolutely works with the mount if I use the handbox/Synscan (I am assuming Hall sensors or similar) but it doesn't work with INDI when parked using the Autopark button in the EQMod control panel. Am I using the wrong driver?

- hopefully the answer is "yes" and I can delete my bug report -
3 years 9 months ago #55431

For some reason the software looks for the encoders before it will autohome, even though it does not actually need them for the autohome function, so as they are not there, it throws the error....very strange....will look into it...
3 years 9 months ago #55433

Thanks - there's a bug logged in the Gitlab/hub/whichevergit - if it's as simple as skipping the checking for encoders then it's going to be a quick fix! thank you!
3 years 9 months ago #55434

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 9 months ago #55435

Yup - let's hope it gets resolved - I had a situation just tonight where I needed to home the mount and was wishing the feature worked.
3 years 9 months ago #55436

Yes it is a superb feature, and I use it a lot... :)
I have asked Jasem to look into it, he is the INdI author...
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 9 months ago #55437

The whole INDI team are amazing getting the software to the point where it's little things like this that are now "problems" - really grateful for all the great work they do basically for free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
3 years 9 months ago #55438

For reference here's the error as it appears.

As I copied it I noticed that INDI describes the Park position in terms of "encoders", this is also true of the lx200 drivers if memory serves, just an example of how potentially confusing the terminology in our hobby/passion can be (again the debate as to whether it's accurate is a whole other matter for a beer!).

Clear skies everyone!
3 years 9 months ago #55457
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds