INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CentOS Install

• Thank you received: 1

CentOS Install was created by Aidan Gray

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had success installing the INDI Library and PyIndi on CentOS 7/8?

I had success installing it on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine, but now would like to get it working on CentOS. I first tried installing the prerequisites but had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3 years 9 months ago #55463

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic CentOS Install

The package names in the KStars and INDI installation instructions are Ubuntu-based so you'll probably need to translate those to CentOS names. If that's not it then perhaps you could inform us more about what you did when "installing the prerequisites" and in what way it went wrong.

Wouter
3 years 9 months ago #55466

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by wotalota on topic CentOS Install

There are instructions for Fedora but as far as I know there is no repository for Centos. To try a build from source you will need to discover the equivalent Centos library names. If you also want to run Kstars/Ekos I expect a build would also be needed to get the bleeding version of Kstars. For myself I would not go there, more pain than gain. Running ubuntu in a virtual machine could be an alternative.
When I was building indilib on Fedora the following are the libraries used, depending on your version of CentOS names might be similar.

dnf install libnova.x86_64 \
libnova-devel.x86_64 \
libusb.x86_64 \
libusb-devel.x86_64 \
cfitsio-devel.x86_64 \
cfitsio-static.x86_64 \
gtest.x86_64 \
gtest-devel.x86_64 \
gmock.x86_64 \
gmock-devel.x86_64 \
zlib-static.x86_64 \
libusb-devel.x86_64 \
libcurl-devel.x86_64 \
gsl-devel.x86_64 \
cfitsio-devel \
stbi-devel \
libjpeg-turbo-devel \
fftw3-devel
3 years 9 months ago #55523

Replied by Aidan Gray on topic CentOS Install

Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to find all of these libraries for CentOS 8 except for the first two: libnova and libnova-devel. I was only able to find them for CentOS 7. Is there another way I can build these two libraries on CentOS?
3 years 9 months ago #55653

I don't have CentOS any more but the repository EPEL seems to offer libnova. Try adding the EPEL repository if you don't already pull it in and see if that helps.
3 years 9 months ago #55656

Replied by Aidan Gray on topic CentOS Install

I've added the EPEL repo, but it seems the libnova library is only in the CentOS 7 EPEL repo. The CentOS 8 EPEL repo does not contain libnova. Is there another way for me to install this library without downloading from a repo? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm still getting used to Linux-based systems.
3 years 9 months ago #55668

I would ask in the CentOS forum where it can be found, they are helpful. It might have been picked up by another group like rpmfusion sometimes these things move depending on the repo's defined purpose. As a last resort libnova.sourceforge.net/ provide the sources if you can figure from the git sources how to build the library.
3 years 9 months ago #55670

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds