INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Bug: CCD Simulator, FOV Symbols and Align Rotation value mismatch.

• Thank you received: 226

I believe you have misunderstood some things.
1. To solve you require a mount in the profile, in this case simply the Telescope Simulator.
2. FOV symbols currently do not get their rotation from solved frames. That is what my P.S. Wishlist thought was for.
3. You can already create a custom FOV symbol with an offset to illustrate an OAG point of view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronald Scotti
3 years 9 months ago #55498

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17
I had been looking all over for a telescope simulator not expecting to find it under 'other,' I thought it should be at a higher level like the other scope (small point now that I know where it is).
Yes, I misunderstood what you said earlier, I thought you were complaining that the angle was off by a fixed amount, not that it did not show up at all.
Yes, what I did first was to create a new FOV simulator for both my main camera and the guider, I just missed the lower part of the box where you can put in an offset (trying to go to fast and end up behind where I started!). But there is an issue there as well. If you put in an offset for the guide camera and then rotate it, it rotates about its center not from the center point of the offset (where the main camera is).

As I am only working with ccd simulators, at the moment, I don't know how the 'real' system behaves. If the solver gives the correct angle of the sensor, then hopefully one could at least set that angle in the sensor configuration (or the WCS setting box) and the sensor FOV image on the Kstars screen would be correct. But that does not seem to be the case with the simulator. As I mentioned above setting the rotation angle in either of those locations did not affect the "sensor" FOV symbol in Kstars.

thanks for you help,
Ron
3 years 9 months ago #55499

Your questions are tangent to the issues I created this thread to discuss. Regarding an actual bug I believe I have found, not a discussion on proper use of these features. I will therefore request that your points be discussed in your previous thread.
indilib.org/forum/general/7153-camera-ro...find-guide-star.html
3 years 9 months ago #55500

3 years 9 months ago #55502

So this is not a bug, just needs clarification.

astrometry.net reads FITS image from bottom to top, while KStars reads image from top to bottom. This results in a 180-degrees flip. You don't actually see this since it's done in the back-end so everything looks "correct". If KStars adds support for reading bottom-up then all the number would match without needing to flip.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 9 months ago #55509

Ok. Maybe that is something worth looking in to to make it easier to correlate solver results with FOV symbols.
The other oddity was why is the rotation in the CCD Simulator configuration -90° off in the solver?
3 years 9 months ago #55524

• Thank you received: 138
The CCD simulator is aware of the mount pier side and rotates images taken on the two sides of the pier by 180 degrees. This is what happens in reality.
3 years 9 months ago #55529

But 180 degrees is not -90.
3 years 9 months ago #55542

ok, I am back and I am having trouble repeating your first step. I have set up simulations for telescope, guide, filter, ccd and astrometry and started Ekos with all things connected. I have the simulators set to represent my current setup with my 9.25SCT at f/10 and my SBIG camera. I have saved those configurations and reload them when I start up. I am able to move the telescope to various targets (m101, m90, m54, etc) and successfully solve using the internal solver (with Source Extractor or not).

After starting Ekos I can see the sensor FOV symbol on the sky chart and it is pointing at the NCP. the angle in the CCD simulator configuration and in the WCS pages both (in the Indi control panel) show '0' and the FOV symbol is pointing at the NCP. I now set the angle in the CCD Simulator configuration page to 25 degrees; save that configuration and exit everything. After starting up again, the angle in the CCD simulator page in the configuration tab at rotation says 25 degrees. But the FOV symbol on the Kstars sky chart is still pointing at the NCP. I cannot seem to get anything to change the angle on the Kstars chart.
If I do a solve and it comes up with a different angle, (usually 90 or -180 or close to those) then the solved field image on the skychart is in that orientation and the FOV Symbol is also. But it does not change by my making any other changes to the configuration setting of the CCD simulator.

There seems to be to be a total disconnect there. I will re-read this thread a third time to see if I am still misinterpreting what that rotation angle (in the Indi control panel configuration pages) means, but what ever it is it does not seem to be reflected in the skychart.

Ron
3 years 9 months ago #55549

That symbol is generated by the plate solver, so naturally it will not update until after plate solving again.
3 years 9 months ago #55552

ok, that may be. All I know is that there are a couple of symbols. One is the image of the plate solve, the other is supposed to be the FOV of the CCD. Obviously, the first one matches the plate solve, but the second (the one you can click on and off) should (by my thinking) follow what you set for the CCD. Otherwise, what is the reason for being able to set the rotation angle in the WCS setting of the CCD?

It is fine, I can work with what we have. I understand a lot more now, that is all that matters to me. The Kstars skychart does not really provide much information for 'composing' an image based on CCD rotation anyway. And for finding a guide star I have to rotate and look for one.

It is all good, I just needed to know how things were working.

thanks
Ron
3 years 9 months ago #55554

The WCS field in the driver is populated by the solver, it is not something you have to set.
As for updating the custom FOV, that may be desirable in terms of the rotation. But otherwise they are not auto-generated. Nor would that be desirable. As it is,I mainly use them to compare the framing between different configurations of my equipment.
And you can get more information on the sky chart for composing by turning on DSS under HiPS All Sky Overlay.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 9 months ago #55555

Time to create page: 0.784 seconds