INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMOD + moonlite focuser doesn't connect together

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, I recently bought a raspberry pi 4B(4GB), yesterday I was excited to try my first attemp with it, but I had 2 issues I've encountered with:
1. Whenever I connected my USB(from the USB HUB) to the USB3 port, for a weird reason the wifi/hotspot stopped working, can't really tell why, it's a powered USB HUB, so it shouldn't draw too much power from the rasbperry pi.
Eventually I've simply connected the hub to a usb2 port and that fixed the issue.

2. After I solved the first issue, I ended up with another frustrating issue, I'm using a DIY focuser(ardufocus, which is compatible with moonlite focus drivers), for a weird reason, I didn't manage to get both my moun(EQMOD) and focuser to connect at the same time.
According to the connected USB's, both were connected, but I was only able to connect one at a time, if the EQMOD was connected, the focuser wasn't able to be found, and if the focuser was connected, I couldn't connect to the EQMOD.

I didn't manage to solve this issue, I also tried connected both of them directly to the raspberry pi and not through the USB hub, but that didn't help. Eventually after around 2-3 hours of trying to troubleshoot and google, I simply gave up, connected everything to the USB hub and then to my laptop and imaged with it.

Any ideas what could be the issue?
Thanks.
3 years 9 months ago #55573

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After you plug the moonlite, what does dmesg say? does it get assigned port?
3 years 9 months ago #55575

I'm not sure where I should see that?
3 years 9 months ago #55577

• Thank you received: 420
Disconnect the moonlite and eqmod, open a terminal and type

dmesg -w

This will print out all kernel messages so far and will wait (that's what the -w does) for new messages. Now plugin the moonlite. Now leave the moonlite connected and also connect the eqmod. Copy the new lines and paste them here.

Wouter
3 years 9 months ago #55581

I currently don't have access to my mount, I don't think I'll be able to reproduce this with simulator drivers unfortunately.
Basically that's what I received though:
2020-06-14T17:22:12: [INFO] Error retreiving data from MoonLite, please ensure MoonLite controller is powered and the port is correct.
2020-06-14T17:22:12: [INFO] Handshake failed after 3 attempts
2020-06-14T17:22:08: [ERROR] Handshake Attempt 2, updatePosition response error: Timeout error.
2020-06-14T17:22:12: [ERROR] Handshake Attempt 3, updatePosition response error: Timeout error.
3 years 9 months ago #55582

• Thank you received: 23
Try to install a 10uF capacitor connected betwee GND and RST arduino's pin
3 years 9 months ago #55583

There was a capacitor initially, but it worked flawlessly on windows with whatever program I used(SGP, NINA, firecapture, sharpcap), so I didn't install it on the new arduino board.
The capacitor should disable auto reset or something like that I think, is there any logic for it to work on windows and not work with indi?
3 years 9 months ago #55584

I do not know the problem, but it is not related to the arduino code, or the moonlite driver. I have the same issue with myfocuser 2 pro, but i need to try with the capacitor. Other times it connects without problems
3 years 9 months ago #55586

Oh you're experiencing the exact same problem?
3 years 9 months ago #55588

Yes random. I think that isrelated ti Arduino that reset on serial connection and the code ti ger the motore position. Capacitior should evitate this.
3 years 9 months ago #55589

That's very interesting, I'll surely give it a try when I have the chance, will you be able to let me know if you tried it too?

Thanks!
3 years 9 months ago #55611

I tested it now with and without the capacitor. Without the capacitor some problem in the connection with or without unplug the usb port. With the capacitor no problem on connection in about 10 times
3 years 9 months ago #55616

Time to create page: 1.207 seconds