INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to run Terminal commands for logs?

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

Just a general question here. I know a lot of issues that come to light need to have the Logs with it in order for you guys(the team, Jasem, etc. whoever) to work out the issue and solve it.

As a user I would like to help if I come across issues to be able to correctly post here. Is there any links you can provide me that I can read about how to run all of these different commands? I have very very little experience with terminal. Is there a link to a good article someone could provide me so I can read and understand how to run the different commands and properly post the logs/issue? I hate to be another post without any useful information. I appreciate that this is a free software and I would like to at least be somewhat helpful instead of just posting an issue incorrectly (like I always do).

Thank you!
3 years 9 months ago #55733

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
Nano is a built in command line text editor that is preinstalled on most Linux distro's.

www.howtogeek.com/howto/42980/the-beginn...nd-line-text-editor/

Cheers
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel DeSclafani
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 9 months ago #55744

In my signature you can see a video about this. Also, I'm currently working on an Ekos Debugger Tool to be published in a few weeks that would help with this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel DeSclafani
3 years 9 months ago #55756

Awesome! Thank you!
3 years 9 months ago #55769

Thanks! I am assuming that this is pretty much similar for mac users as well?
3 years 9 months ago #55770

• Thank you received: 9

I do not know what Mac uses for a command line editor.

I use Ubuntu as my desktop and my Pi as a INDI server only for remote operations. (I bought the StellarMate OS to support Jasem and the project) Personally I use the command line editor 'vi' as I can do a lot with the program. Nano is easier to master for a new user, it is a basic command line editor. I was clumsily trying to answer your question in regards to a command line editor that runs on StellarMate, because I read the question wrong :oops:

Now if you want to learn about commands that you can enter from the terminal to run programs and do tasks look here:

ubuntu.com/tutorials/command-line-for-beginners#1-overview
www.tecmint.com/linux-commands-cheat-sheet/

I would check out Jasem and the link to 'How to submit logs' on his signature.

Cheers
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 9 months ago #55795

• Thank you received: 420
On Mac several editors are available via homebrew. Nano is one of them, vim another if, like me, you prefer that.

Clear skies, Wouter
3 years 9 months ago #55799

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds