INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding settings

• Thank you received: 155
Does anyone have any documentation or tips for adjusting these various settings in the Guide module?

Guide Box size - what size is best? What is the default?

Control parameters: How do I determine what settings to use, and when do I change them? What are the default values?
- Proportional (do I just set this according to the P: setting located after the Guide Rate?)
- Integral Gain (What is the default, when should I adjust, is the left setting for RA and the right for DEC?)
- Max and Min pulse. What are the keys to determine what these settings should be? What are the DEFAULT settings?

- Calibrait plat (new feature). What is the purpose and how do I read it?

Thanks!
3 years 9 months ago #55966

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Guiding settings

For most of these functions are already documented here: stellarmate.com/support/ekos/guide.html

After v3.4.3 is released, we're going to update the documentation with all the new features and changes.
3 years 9 months ago #55987

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Guiding settings

Thanks Jasem.

In your Stellarmate documentation you state "You can alter the Proportional and Integral gains to improve the guiding performance if necessary.".
The problem is that I have no idea how to determine when an adjustment would help, nor what settings to change o5 what changes to make.
Is a gain of 0.5 good, or 2.5? How about 300? The numbers are arbitrary until I learn what it really does and how I can spot when changing these settings may help.
Is the left set of numbers for RA and the right side for DEC? I found no documentation that describes that.
3 years 9 months ago #55988

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Guiding settings

There have been a bunch of discussions about this on the forum. Hy looked at the code recently and if I remember correctly he found that

1) Integral gain is not used, you can set it at anything you want, it will default to 0. So makes no difference.
2) Proportional gain, unbelievably, is nothing but time in ms and the deflection is being determined by multiplying that value with the delta[0] or delta[1], i.e. the deviation in RA and DEC, respectively, in arcsec.

If I remember correctly, you have a CEM25 mount. How is the guiding with that? I am still thinking about getting one, but I worry about the iOptron drivers, since I have an iOptronSmartEQPro+ and the guiding with that is not acceptable/reproducible. And I have tried all variations of proportional gain and guide time intervals. Perhaps we can communicate off-line, I would very much like to see some of your guide logs.

Best

Jo
3 years 9 months ago #56007

Time to create page: 0.861 seconds